• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce muffler bracket

rdixiemiller

All
I installed a muffler on my deuce, the same one as Desert Rat and the others have been using. I didn't like my mirror braces rubbing the muffler, so i took them off and put a 15 degree kink in each one with my 1/2" conduit bender. I straightened out the existing bends about 15 degrees in the lifting strap brackets on the rear body. If you look in the pics, you can see the extra bends. That keeps the mirror braces off the muffler, just like I wanted it.

I made a bracket in about 15 minutes to support the muffler. I took a piece of scrap 5/16"x1 1/4" flat steel, drilled the appropriate holes. I found a scrap of 1"x1/8" and ran it through the DiAcro bender with a 7" round forming die. Bent the end tabs, drilled them, welded it together. Holds the muffler up just fine, looks like it was made for the truck. I am going to make up a heat shield out of expanded metal to get rid of the muffler look. A couple of days running to burn off any oils, and I'll spray it with some primer and flat black.

If anyone needs a bracket like this, I can make one for about $10, plus postage. This one fits the 7" can muffler like a glove.

Loose Deuce

Hi rdixiemiller, How do you like the new sound? I may be interested in one of your brackets soon, can you take a few pictures in the daytime so I can see your set up better? [:)]

Albin

Loose Deuce said:
Hi rdixiemiller, How do you like the new sound? I may be interested in one of your brackets soon, can you take a few pictures in the daytime so I can see your set up better? [:)]
+1 on the pics, please.

Thanks,

Al

rdixiemiller

Let me see if the pics will post tonight.
I like the sound, it gets a little louder after a 1000 miles or so. The bracket bolts on to the original pipe mount, with no mods. I pulled the mirror arms and took out a little of the existing bend, and added a little about 6" back. bends were made using the lifting strap bracket welded to the deuce bed side!. I have since found that truck muffler shops carry a clamp bracket that fits the muffler perfectly. All you do is find a little scrap of steel strap and drill it to match the existing mount. A little weld, and you are done. Looks factory, except for the lack of a heat shield. The muffler does not get too hot, so that is not a real issue.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deuce muffler, jumbo shrimp, ford quality, jeep doors, fast yugo...all these things make me laugh.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenneth, laugh about the other things but not about a small 6-7” dia. muffler which does a lot to help preserve our hearing. What if you see an A3 than ?
I don’t know why, but some multifuels really scream to loud with the oem muffler-less exhaust stack. I experienced that with my LDS 427-2 when I first drove it after the exhaust conversion. With no muffler I couldn’t hear my own voice while accelerating or doing 55. My friend has the LDS465-1A and 3 ½” stack w/o muffler and it’s quieter than mine with!?

Robert, well done! I agree that with that screen it would look better, but only for looks, if the muffler is a glass pack it doesn't get hot at all, you can use any paint you want. Don't expect to burn off any oil!

Gerhard

rdixiemiller

My daughter couldn't stand the scream of the turbo, didn't want to damage her hearing. Now, with the D turbo, the dentist drill scream is gone. The truck is still loud, on a long trip I wear ear plugs. Engine and gear noise is still right on up there. The muffler is a glasspack, so it has a nice, throaty rumble to it.
I think I paid $68 and tax, NAPA special.
I wouldn't have it any other way, especially with my daughter riding shotgun with me all the time.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My kids use the either the Peltor Jr hearing protection or the Powercom headset radios. They rather enjoy the intercoms. The little guy has been to Aberdeen and back in the deuce. Here's a pic of him snoozing on a 500 mile day.

Attachments

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Robert,
The strange part is my passenger side mirror brackets ARE already bent like that. I always thought it was a little weird, but figured there used to be a muffler attached.

I have NOW perused the NAPA website. I looked at Ag mufflers, HD Truck mufflers, and Universal mufflers. Found SEVERAL that looked promising.

From $62 - $325 !!

Tried to keep the ID around 3". Which hopefully will fit. My ID measurements of my J pipe say 3 1/4" - 3 1/2" ID. So if my pipe says 3" ID, the OD will be what? 3 1/4"? 3 1/2"? Anybody know? And a few of these are already painted black!

vbrescueman

I bought a muffler for my deuce- it does help with the screaming turbo. It is still rather loud though and my kids wear shooting 'ears' since I don't have an intercom either :( Anywho... just make sure the muffler you get is for a diesel engine or it could get clogged up. I got mine at Virginia Truck on Military Hwy. for $85.00 :)