• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Now Starts and stalls starts and stalls

gtmustang196767

Hey so after fixing the button on the hydraulic head and getting new o rings for it my deuce now Runs very poorly at about 500 to 700 rpm and than cuts off immediately, All Fuel Filters are new, Fuel line under the radiator is not pinched, fresh fuel in the system and fresh batteries well two group 65's wired to 24 volt anyway cranks well, Can anyone help me? i thought i had been fighting the cold during the winter but its 65 today and sunny and the motor got hot enough to lightly burn me while working on it, Before i took the HH off to fix the button It had ran and idle well but when you hit the gas pedal it always died, Now the button in the HH moves up and down, and i can tell the gas pedal is responsive unlike how it used to be but now it just will not stay running for more than 20 second and usually around 500 rpm it tries to get passed 700 rpm sometimes but than pukes out and seems like it cranks without fuel before it tries to really light off again, Would greatly appreciatte some input I AM DYING to drive this truck hahaha

dmetalmiki

If you had another pump complete as a spare, I would (have) suggested you change out the complete fuel pump assembly. Something is seemingly wrong with yours,

gtmustang196767

Well I did lign up the red tooth when taking it out and also made sure it was aligned when I put it back in, it wouldn't have ran before if it was 180 out no? I guess your suggesting I check all the timing ? I'm kinda at a loss

gtmustang196767

Re verified that the button was moving today, Also bypasses FDC just for the **** of it, no difference. With igniton on and pump on should fuel come out of the center hole where you check button movement without the plug in? I'm guessing that's normal

Jeepsinker

You can pull the front valve cover and make sure both valves on #1 are closed when you have the harmonic balancer mark lined up. Then your hh mark should be one tooth behind the pointer ( in other words, it should be one tooth behind the mark towards the firewall), if it isnt, then your pump was improperly assembled or has something broken in it.

So, do all that, pull the head ( you may have to move the motor until the hh mark is only 1/2 tooth behind the pointer) then roll the motor over until the balancer mark is lined up again, and reinstall the head.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well first of all the button you are talking about and pulling the top center plug is not called the button. That is the plunger and you can not check if the button fell off by way of plunger/top plug. Second I would never reuse the clip that holds on the button. Third and we have never talked about this but have discussed why plungers stick. So My new thought is if you button falls off the head needs to be taken apart and the plunger cleaned of the tarnish that made it stick to start with. Then after inspecting the button install new retainer clip.
Jeepsinker remember we can save time by looking in the oil fill hole in the valve cover and the #2 cylinder exhaust valve will be open. This will be looking at the valve that is forward or front of engine through the hole in valve cover. Also don't have to clean the top of the motor to keep dirty/crap out of the motor when valve cover is removed. Save time/work smart.

Attachments

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It might if just the clip was off and button dancing around. Pull the head. One can clearly see the #2 exhaust valve through the oil fill.
If the motor was not turned over when the head was out and he pulled it with head spot on then it would not be 180 out. Pull the head.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just apply Occam's razor theory here. The was no problem before he pull the head so the simple answer is the head. Yes he could have mixed up the injection order on the injection lines but that is a little harder as the lines would not fit right and there is a plate that has the order on the HH.

charlietango

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i'm on the pump wagon. I had a bad one that was surging like you describe. If not bad, something was re-assembled incorrectly perhaps. Hard to diagnose over the web. Can you video it ?