• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce ownership?

biodeucel

If this thread is redundant :oops: , please point me in the right direction and I will delete this one.

If not,
When you own a deuce, how much time do you spend maintaining/fixing vs. how much you get to drive the thing? Is it more a pain or a pleasure to own?

Just trying to get an idea...

kurtkds

Like any vintage vehicle, you'll spend your fair share of time working on getting it the way you want, but after that enjoy... If you don't like working with your hands, you might be at a disadvantage..

just my 2cents

Now back to the garage cause the Deuce is calling.... :lol:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know... maybe 1 hour per 5 driving? My old Jeep is about 2 hours working to one driving.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After you get up to snuff, I have found not so much wrenching as much as just checks...depends on what yo call pain...I like wrenching on things, it's theraputic!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depends on how much you like improving your ride. Yesterday, I was under the deuce adjusting the e-brake settings, and I noticed a lot of little things that are okay as is, but could use upgrading. So, you might end with more work, but a better ride.

The opposite end of the spectrum, there are a couple here who work and play their truck, beat it to heck, and almost never maintain it. And, with mixed results, the deuce can take it.

The choice is yours.

MilitaryRestoration

i'll wrench on my trucks anytime of the day for how ever long...its just those bs projects that are driving you crazy or the projects that you just did and are having to redo that drives me crazy, but without those it wouldn't work my brain or get the hands dirty and at the end of the day when you come in knowing what you've gotten done....its worth it. Especially when you wake up and look at it in the morning. ex. I tried getting all the tires off my 5ton and putting all the super singles on along with putting the new fender back on, by 6pm (time les schwab closes) got a late start finished all that in an amazing 5 hours but was 10 minutes too late to make it to schwab, which just pissed me off, yet in the morning went out and looked at it and had the biggest smile on i know it :) and as for the driving, can't explain, especially when you get compliments from veterans...to me thats the best part... my 2cents

dm22630

Re: RE: Deuce ownership?

Stretch44875 said:
I don't know... maybe 1 hour per 5 driving? My old Jeep is about 2 hours working to one driving.
:ditto:

Sounds about right....I would say a LOT of the "maintenance" is checking fluids/hoses/tires/etc....so dont get scared off ;)

AND....

It is a HUGE pleasure to drive! :mrgreen:

wsucougarx

RE: Re: RE: Deuce ownership?

Some people like to watch sunsets, some people like to walk the beach, others like to read and others like to watch TV. I personally like to crawl under my truck and get my hands dirty. If there's nothing to fix or tinker with then I make something up. Like today, I went through my entire under carriage w/NAPA rust remover and just dabbed a rust spot there and a rust spot there. When I am done doing that then I'll start dabbing on some CARC here some CARC there;-). There is just something about working on a vehicle that is therapeutic for me. Definately gets my brain thinking considering I use to tinker w/my VW GTi and now I have this gigantic truck to tinker on:) Ahh, once I am done with this then it'll be time to buy another, then another....

biodeucel

Re: RE: Deuce ownership?

LanceRobson said:
Biodeucel: where do you live? "New York" is kinda vague. I'm in the thriving metropolis, outside Auburn, about 20 miles SW of Syracuse.
Oops :oops: sorry about that. Will fix. I am just north of Lake George.

LanceRobson

I didn't mean to imply that it needs a "fix". Sorry for the confusion.

I was just going to extend an invitation to get together, if you were interested. There are 4 local deuce owners with 8 deuces and more coming.

Lance

biodeucel

No, thats alright. I just didn't realize that i forgot the town name. Syracuse seems like a bit far to drive, but there is one guy who lives right down the street from me- he's got a deuce, an m37, and an antique, non millitary fire truck. I'll have to go over and see him sometime.

2027Deuce

What I have noticed is the guys that love driving the deuce usually don't mind working on her. Remember the truck was vintage when you got it so it will need alittle attention. But for a deuce a little goes a long way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks