• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce repower

FreightTrain

Banned
Ok,for Spit and Giggles,would it be possible to fit a 12V71 Driptroit in a deuce?Before someone goes into the Detroit suck Detroits Suck replies....get over it.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found a weight of 3200lbs for the 12v-71... Multi is 1600 I think, and comes close to overloading the front axle with a winch.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
a 12v71 is a BIG motor, i dont see where you would find the space, but on the other hand a redneck with a cutting touch and a welder can do the impossible

FreightTrain

Banned
Thought about building a bob duece and I know for a fact it will have a driptroit 2 stroke.I love the sound of a 12V71 but if push comes to shove maybe a 8V71 or a 6V71.Nothing sounds as cool as a 2 stroke turbo supercharged engine.

FreightTrain

Banned
Wonder how hard it would be to put a pair of 5 ton axles under a bob deuce.....or just build a bob 5ton.I know Bama will be different but what would I have to do to register and tag a bobbed truck.How would I go about calculating GVW since Antique tags would be illegal(No modification from stock allowed).I am gonna figure out a way to build a 12V71 powered monster.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No 12V71, way too big and heavy for the 2 1/2 ton truck. Maybe the 6V71, but you'd need to re locate the trans/t-case, forward to make room for the exhaust. Now the 6- 53 or 71 inline might be a better fit. The trans could stay in the same place, just gotta get a bigger cooling package. The 2 strokes don't like temps above 190 or so.... If I remember right.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Why not just upgrade everything to a big block Cummins 400 along with a Roadranger 13 speed I know the great sound of a 2 stroke detroit is hard to beat but I think the worse job I ever did in the shop was to change a leaking return line on a 318 Detroit in an OTR truck. The fuel kept spitting out on the hot engine and made me sick to my stomach. I was a mechanic in the truck stop Georgeport on the B3 connector of the NYTW and could not wait for the truck to cool down. I would also look at an M818 to do this with as the 250 Cummins and the 400 are closer than most think.

FreightTrain

Banned
650 ft•lbf @ 1400 rpm 238 hp governed at 2100 rpm (naturally aspirated)
801 ft•lbf @ 1400 rpm 275 hp governed at 2100 rpm (turbocharged)
810 ft•lbf @ 1200 rpm 290 hp governed at 2100 rpm (turbocharged/aftercooled)

FreightTrain

Banned
Blows the 465 out of the water in Power and torque....Reason I don't even consider a cumapart is I hate them with a passion.Great engines,Great modibility,Great parts availabiltty but damn,Every Tom,Dick and Harry has a freaking Cummins in everything.They are so dang boring.Weather it be a 4BT or a big block.

OD_Coyote

FreightTrain said:
Blows the 465 out of the water in Power and torque....Reason I don't even consider a cumapart is I hate them with a passion.Great engines,Great modibility,Great parts availabiltty but dang,Every Tom,Dick and Harry has a freaking Cummins in everything.They are so dang boring.Weather it be a 4BT or a big block.
Just call me Harry then :D [thumbzup]

rdixiemiller

6V53 Detroit will fit if you push the engine forward a bit. This clears the steering column. You need a longer stub shaft, and a modified shifter. If I was going that route, I would use this as the opportunity to add an 8 speed tranny and take advantage of the extra space. 12V71 would be something to try in an 800 series, although steering mods would be necessary. I have seen a 300 CID Ford gas engine with fuel injection installed in a bobbed deuce, worked out nicely.

FreightTrain

Banned
If I go the driptroit route it will more than likely be the 6-71.More I listen to the 12V engines the less I like them.I am a big fan of inline engines period.Best design for any engine period.They just last longer since they have more support bearing wise.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not know how to recognize the sound of a 2-stroke diesel. Are there any MP3 fies comparing the two to the four?