• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Safety

np2ij

Deuce Safety

Late October while painting my deuce in preparation for display at the Stuart Fl airshow we had an accident that took out the driver and co driver.
The co driver (my brother) was on the passenger fender and lost his footing, jammed his leg between the fender and bumper.
I heard him slip but not hit the ground. I had been painting the driver door, stepped around the front to see my brother hanging by his right leg upside-down from the bumper.

My first thought is to extricate him ASAP!! I dead lifted him off the bumper, called 911 and he took a $18k Trauma Hawk helicopter ride to the trauma center.
In less than a hour and half later surgery pinned the femur and he was in recovery two hours later. The road to recovery is a few more weeks for him and looking good.

Once the adrenaline rush wore off i realized that my back was hurting me and today i learned i have not one but two compression fractures in my spine.
My recovery will be a longer path than my brothers and not nearly as clear, i have multiple doctor appointments with no final answers.

Lessons learned, wear better shoes when walking on fender etc. Not lift my brother off the truck, never a second thought, he easily could have lost the leg or had worse damage done waiting for paramedics. BTW they were great!

We learned to pay attention to our situation at all times. The incident was not alcohol related but, the heat of South Florida was a factor.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Amazing what your body can do when it NEEDS to happen. Glad your Brother will be ok, and hope that the road to recovery is quicker than planned for you.

And yes, weather (heat/humidity) always needs to be a factor. I've had my friend stop me from continuing to work so that I can eat/hydrate, as I tend to get wrapped up and forget.

saddamsnightmare

November 15th, 2015

NP2IJ:

I repeat what the others have said, and hope that you both recover as quickly as possible. Regrettably I no longer own an M35A2 (but hope to have another one, or a U1300L Mog soon), but having worked on everything from locomotives to vessels, I tend to move slowly and cautiously when off the ground, as the Almighty did not see fit to give me wings, and I don't bounce very well...

A suggestion might be to add the abrasive safety tread paper that is used on step edges on the deuce bumper top surface, but there's not much you can do with the 45* planes at the front and rear of the front fenders but be cautious. On my truck I restencilled those areas as "NO STEP" zones, as the truck had carried those messages there before its repaint before Desert Storm. Also, stencil the area of the bed floor immediately above the tailgate steps with the word "STEP", it might save a miss when getting down off of the bed.... use black paint on tan, and white paint on green and you will see the guides better.....

Again, repeating what the Chaplain has remarked above, you and your brother will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Last edited:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wish you both a speedy recovery.

In addition to the aforementioned, if you are working in the engine compartment, be wary of where you leave your tools. While working on top of the engine on my M818, I stepped out to the right fender and onto an open end wrench. The wrench slipped outward and so did my foot right off the fender. I did not hit the ground, but it was an interesting feat bringing my falling self to a stop.

Winch trucks are especially tricky with that large chasm between the bumper and fender. When I added the winch to my truck I also added another fender support tube to the right side to act as a step point. I have also added some grab handles to top corners of the grille for added safety.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks