• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce shake

agent_008_188

Well my deuce is having a problem. at higher speeds 40 to 50 my deuce has a intermitent shacking of the front axle. The steering wheel shakes back and forth and then stops and then a few seconds later starts up again. I thought something might be unbalanced in my tire ( like mud) but its clean. all the steering stuff is on and seems tight. I don't know.....

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it do it all the time or just after it's been sitting for some time? Old bias-ply tires will develop flat spots after sitting and it takes a few miles down the road for them to smooth out. I know all my trucks will shake if they've been sitting for several days but it will go away after a couple of miles.

ctmustang

my truck has the shake also. i'm a frontend man by trade and checked everything on the frontend and it's all good. put on 2 new tires and made an 70% improvement. only does it once in a while now. I kind of feel like it is a tire balance issue.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the begining of the "death wobble". Can't help you there. My brother has a m1008 that has the death wobble and we've been replacing parts and haven't stoped it yet.

Jeeperjoe

I know death wobble can be fixed by doing alot of tourqing and checking of front end bolts on jeeps and wheelers, but not really sure about dueces...

YankeeDuece

Verify equal/full tire pressure on the front. If one tire is lower then the other will driving, a harmonic wobble will start and get increasingly worse until you change speed to cancel the effect.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, check the wheel bearings, you could have a loose one, and if the steering gear has a bunch of slop in it, that can add to the problem. Try bumping the tire pressure up a bit. Do 1 thing at a time so you know what fixes it.

Oh yeah, make sure the tie rod ends and the drag link sockets and balls arent worn out.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check your rear tires also. I had 2 flats on the inners (already been beat up about it in another thread), and that caused a wobble in my front end around the same speed yours is....

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
my duece had that and i found that the mechs didnt drive down the locking ring on outer nut so it worked free., i tourqued it down and no more woble

chowbutt

Check the condition or the tie rod end and torque on the king pins bearing as the others have stated but you may needed to add a steering stabilizer. Many of the early 4X4 added optional steering stabilizers to control wheel wobble.

Jeeperjoe

Check the condition or the tie rod end and torque on the king pins bearing as the others have stated but you may needed to add a steering stabilizer. Many of the early 4X4 added optional steering stabilizers to control wheel wobble.

Steering stabilizer may fix the issue but its more of a bandaid then a fix.... food for thought

agent_008_188

well figured out the problem....I hope I don't get tore up. I had aired up the tires a week ago and I figured there would still be good when I drove it this weekend...well three inners were flat. so I will ake them off and fix them. to my credit I am 21 and my dad has taught me the kick and listen to the tone for gauging tires on a radial tire (I am pretty good) but I guess that this wont work since 3 inners were flat. Sorry for asking this question without doing my homework first.

Jeeperjoe

well figured out the problem....I hope I don't get tore up. I had aired up the tires a week ago and I figured there would still be good when I drove it this weekend...well three inners were flat. so I will ake them off and fix them. to my credit I am 21 and my dad has taught me the kick and listen to the tone for gauging tires on a radial tire (I am pretty good) but I guess that this wont work since 3 inners were flat. Sorry for asking this question without doing my homework first.

Glad you found the problem