• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce shopping, what are the best options?

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am in the market for a M35A2. I looked at some not too far from where i live where a guy has a bunch of them to choose from. I know i want to get one with a winch and a heater. My question is, is there anything i should stay away from, or anything i should look for when pick one out? It seems like i heard a while ago that the Herc engines were not as good as the Whites and Continental, but that might have been pertaining to the 427 engine (where as i would only get the 465). Were there better engine designations with the "1A 1C whistler and 1D? some of the trucks I looked at one truck and it had Continental ( LDT465-1A) with a plate on the engine where it was rebuilt in '98... Do you think this is definately the truck to get because it has a newer engine? If the engine is in better shape (only thinking that because it was rebuilt not long ago) maybe the other smaller things are not that big of a deal like if the tires were not as good as the others. Any help would be greatly appriecated!! Thanks! :-D

tm america

turbo multi fuel are the way to go i like the d turbo since it gets boost lower in the rpm range and make more boost in the end but i still like the sound of a c turbo i would look for a air shift front and suspension seat also look for one with heat and a hard top also drop side bed are very nice to have since they can be loaded with a fork lift when you are at the lumber yard.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Wow, Binghamton NY, I closed the Army Reserve Center down many years ago there. Talk about a mess.

Welcome to the website.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless the truck has the maint paperwork with it and all the miles/hours match it's a crap shoot. Your 98 rebuild could have 35,000 miles on it and the truck has a new speedo. Just go for a good solid RUST-FREE truck with whatever options you want. Me personally I'd love to have one of the 427 A1 trucks. Good luck finding one though.:roll:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You already got good advice.

The military rebuilt and overhauled these trucks so much that years and data plates do not really mean all that much. A late model (1987-1988) Deuce is an exception. The rest...not too much different between a "1969" and a "1978".

If you want peace of mind, buy from one of the reputable guys (some are on this site) that go over every truck they sell. They have the knowledge and decency to fix whatever needs to be fixed before you get behind the wheel.

If you go out on your own to buy your first truck from some private seller that just wants to get rid of it or even from an auction, that is ok, too - but make arrangements, financially and otherwise, that enable you to work on your truck from day one if needed to bring it up to a safe, roadworthy and complete condition.

If you want to drive it on public roads, it ain't enough that it apparently "drives and stops".

For example I gambled on my first truck and got both lucky and unlucky. Lucky, because I got the type of truck I wanted; unlucky, because while things were mostly ok on the test drives, on the trip home all axle seals started leaking....needed new seals and brakes all around. I am ok with it; I expected having to do work on it from the get-go.

In some respects, buying a Deuce is like buying any other old, used vehicle - you can only check out so much before you buy it and after that, you will be surprised.

You are the only person that can decide what you want and how much risk you are willing to take.

Last edited:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I appriecate the advise guys! i looked on the engine that i said was rebuilt in '98 and the engine looked a lot cleaner than the other ones i looked at. not that the others were filthy, but you know what i mean. I dont have an endless budget with one, but i'd rather get a good solid foundation deuce (one with a solid body) than to try to parts one together with better parts. How well do the new soft tops work? they keep the elements out pretty good? it gets cold up here in upsate new york, and i would drive it 'till the salt hits the road.:-D

Blood_of_Tyrants

The soft tops work pretty good to keep cold out. But your best bet is to get boots for the shifter and the transfer case hi-lo lever. Get something to seal the front windows, they are notorious for leaking. The side windows generally do not fit well, either.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks