• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce shutting down after 2 minutes???

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the deuces is doing something weird, I can't figure it out. Start it up, runs great, good pressure and everything, after 2 minutes of idling, it just stalls out. Plenty of fuel in the tank, batteries are okay, but not wonderful. Time is approximate, but always seems to be around 2 minutes. Any ideas from the peanut gallery?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, you have done the obvious, right, checked fuel filters and bled the lines/filters?
Once started, the batteries are pretty much out of the picture.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have a MV truck (yet) but I do have two diesel engines on other equipment and it sounds like a fuel starvation problem. I get similar symptoms after changing filters sometimes. They will start and run and then die. I'd look for a fuel problem.

steve

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with everyone, Mike. I was going to suggest changing the filters and, in the process of doing this, bleeding the air out of the fuel system (the petcock on top of the secondary/final filter assembly).

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bruce, this is on the "new" deuce that I am going to keep. Total of 34 miles on a new engine. I doubt it would be the fuel filters, but I will check.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It could be if the truck has been sitting for a while. Does the diesel fuel in the tank smell fresh?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Step 1. Check/change the filters
Step 2. See what gunk is in the fuel tank

Then see if the problem still exists...

Since you said it was a new engine, I'd check the primary filter first.. They are often forgotten about when new engines are put in....

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fuel looks and smells okay, nothing that seems to stand out. I will pull all the filters, starting with the primary, and see what I find. This truck isn't going to the rally this weekend, so I'm not too worried, so when I get back, I will work on it and see what happens. I'll keep everyone informed.

rmgill

Your return fuel from the IP to the tank should be a pretty substantial amount. A solid stream. NOT a dribble. I had this problem on my deuce with the 2nd Fuel tank. I thought it was a fuel filter issue, that wasn't it. Perhaps the in Tank pump? Nope, that was in good order. I gave up and started doing other PMCS on the truck. Turns out when I got under the truck and was looking up at the brass to rubber hose to valve fitting areas, there was a kink in the rubber hose and it was restricting fuel flow.

So, lesson of the day is, if it starts, and runs but then dies, you could have a restricted fuel flow. check the flow rate with a gauge if you can, otherwise try to eyeball it. I had the advantage that I had a second tank it would run from so that eliminated most possible problems.

Check your fuel lines to make sure one isn't crimped. Also look for junk that might be in the bottom of the tank. I had a couple of bits of plastic that chocked the M813 when I had it. I've heard of Golf Balls or ping pong balls in some vehicles that made for difficult to diagnose problems.

Srjeeper

Mike, after the 2+ - minutes when it shuts off, does it start right back up? Also, can you hear the pump running when you go to restart?

HeadWizard

Mike-

Since this truck is obviously a pile of cr.....junk, it probably would be best if I just came up, gave you $1500 and took the problem truck off your hands.

What day would be best?

rofl rofl rofl rofl

Don

Jones

A kinked or delaminated line close to the tank is a good possible but here's another thing to check out. There are vented AND non-vented fuel caps that are close to identical in appearance and both will fit on the deuce tank. Make sure you have a vented cap as two minutes is about as long as it would take for the tank to build enough of a vacuum to keep any more fuel from being drawn out of it. If you have a seperate tank vent, make sure the wasps haven't discovered and plugged it with a nest.

I have had fuel lines fail on the in side by collapsing .they look fine on the out side and on the inside the rubber has seperated causing a stopage of fuel after the engine quits the line opens up with out the pump pulling fuel . the engine restarts and runs till the suction causes the seperated rubber to plug the line again . almost always happens where the fuel line is close to a heat . with a fuel pump in the tank this may not happen on a deuce ? kenny

poppop

I agree with jones. When I picked up my 813 it did the same thing on the GSA yard. It had a vent line that ran up on the firewall and it was plugged. Drew a vaacum on the tank and starved for fuel. Let it sit for a while and would start back up and starve again.

beaubeau

Open the pet cock on fuel filters and drain and check for water, or any other contamminants. Just crack the bleeder valves and start the truck and see if air or fuel comes out. Good luck. Phil

jasonjc

emmado22 said:
All the deuces I have seen (and mine which I just checked) have NON vented fuel caps... I dont think thats the problem...
And with the pump in the tank it anit vacum. Check the line from the primy on the frame to the 2nd set it could have been pinched or smashed in the eng swap. Or some smart a** could have put some thing in the filters in the swap :?

poppop

On my only duece the in tank pump is inoperative. When first started it will not idle without shutting down. After a couple minutes it runs fine. Don't know what that means, but if the in tank pump is not working and the IP is sucking fuel and no vent, could be a problem.

rmgill

Well, deuces don't really vent their tank from the filler do they? They do have that vent line that goes to the common vent hardline on the truck.