• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Speedometer going nuts

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Just the other day when I took the deuce out the speedometer started going crazy like spinning around the whole dial and due to the short suspense I had to make I had to keep driving. Now the thing seems to have settled down but I do not know if it is really showing my SOG. Is there a common reason this happens and is there a remedy or do I need to look for a new speedo?

Thanks

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There is a lube point on the speedo cable, I'd try that first. Look for the zerk.

If that doesn't fix it, then I would look for kinks.

If that doesn't fix it, I suppose you could pull the cable out of it's sleeve and inspect it.

On my Mopars (and let's face it, a speedo is a speedo, regardless of whether it's in a Road Runner or a Deuce), when the speedo needle started flopping around, the speedo needed cleaning or rebuilding.

I am faced with the same issue with my deuce's tach cable and I haven't had the time to look into it,

houdel

Try all of the above, and then use a GPS to verify your speedo readings. My speedo reads about 10% low compared to the GPS, the odometer is about 5% low. I have an 11:00-20 speedo adapter which I bought from Saturn which I'm going to install to see if I can get more accurate readings.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My speedo was kind of doing the same thing...kinda. It would work OK, then lose speed, then all of a sudden, pop to 60 or so MPH and go back to "normal". I greased it and it is OK now.

JDToumanian

Hmmm... To grease or not to grease? I just replaced my speedo cable, with a new one from Antelope Valley Truck. Neither the maint. manual or lube order mentions lube for the cable, and Norm at Antelope Valley told me it is to be left dry. "Dry graphite only, if you insist", he said. The only zerk fitting in that area on my truck is for the speedo drive adapter, not the cable.

So, is grease a way of rejuvenating a worn cable? Should the cable always be greased? Graphite? I didn't pay good $$$ for a new cable to have it fail prematurely. What's the deal?

Regards,
Jon

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ya know, you're right. The fitting is on the adaptor. There should be a seal between the adapt. and the cable inlet end...Good piont Jon, kind of makes me want to take it apart to see wassup.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hmm..........mine actually has a zerk in the middle of the cable. I will take a picture when I get home tonight.

jasonjc

I had a speed that would show 60mph in 2nd gear took it a part and found that it was full of eng oil and also all over the back of the dash was oily.Note donot use brake cleaner to clean inside of speedo it cleaned it and got the oil out and made it work but it took off all the numbers on the odomator opps.

DrFoster

Lube, good idea always, but remember that gauge is triggered by a passing magnet overcoming the force of a retaining spring, so either one of two, or both things happened: the magnet and the needle stuck together, or the spring is broken and it somehow "snagged" in there returning the readings to semi-normal for now.

Either way, the gauge should be replaced

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Pictures deleted by author, who was apparently having another one of his slow moments.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You guys ignore me, I have been drinking.

rofl :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny thing, my PB cable doesn't have a lube point. I have the ratchet type PB lever.

tjcouch

Shortly after getting my deuce the tranny self-destructed. $2,700 later, I have it back and am starting to work on my punch list.

So - my speedo has never worked. I assume I should follow the cable from the dash through the firewall and down to the ?_______? Transfercase? Drive shaft?

Oddly enough the speedo is the only gauge that is constantly fogged up - does that mean anything?

Barrman

As pointed out above. A speedo is a speedo. My M715 speedo would jump like crazy for about 2 miles and then break the cable. After spending all the time and money to clean the cable housing, installing a new cable and having the same thing happen, I took the speedo apart and used compressed air only to clean every bit of anything that wasn't metal out of it. Worked great from then on.

Hookin1

After my tach and speedo quit working i pulled the cables the tach was bad and had broken the tip og the cable off at the tach...the speedo cable had bound up in the housing and twisted itself in half....when i put the next cable and tach in i pulled both cables apart,cleaned them and put graphite lube on them....if the speedo or tach starts jumping it usually means the cable is binding up somewhere....the cables are wound up like a spring so they will flex.....if your speedo or tach is bouncing i would take the cable apart and lube it....i don't use grease as it has a tendency to get really stiff when cold

TheBuggyman

The speedo in my old Deuce was going bonkers and I found the square drive in the rear of the tach had wallowed out and was now round. I'm not an engineer but a square tach drive in a (now) round tach fitting just did not seem right. :? Long story short, I had to replace the tach.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks