• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Starter Button

Rebelpride

Hey some times when I go to start my deuce and I hit the button the starter just clunks, then if I hit the button harder it will turnover. My question is: is it 24 volts at the starter button, because I was thinking of replacing the button with a toggle switch for racecars and all of them are for 12 volts.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure it is a momentary toggle, or else bad things might happen...

Not sure of the amp draw through the switch to the solenoid. Better find that out too. switches should work fine for 24vdc even if they say 12, just don't overload the amp rating.

Jake0147

Are you sure it's actually the pressing harder on the button that's making it start, or is it possible that it's the pressing again on the button that's getting it to start?

The "clunk" would imply that the starter button is doing it's job quite correctly, and further troubleshooting will be required to determine why the starter assembly or starter motor circuit doesn't operate correctly.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The start button operates the starter relay, which in turns energizes the solenoid. The current carried by the start button contacts is about 1/4 amp with an inrush of several times that, just about any momentary contact switch will do the job.

Like Jake suggests, the start button is probably doing its job and the "clunk" may indicate a poor connection. The solenoid uses about 1/10th the current that the starter motor needs and that can easily be enough to drop the voltage across a high ohm connection (poor contact), so when the solenoid closes the contact to the motor, the voltage drops. Check and clean the connections.

...I might add that you may also have a bad solenoid contact.

Attachments

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Deuce Starter Button

As stated, that "clunk" is a good test of the button itself. Sometimes, a simple cleaning of the battery terminals/connections will eliminate the symptoms you have. Often, just loose or corroded connections or a little oxidation can cause enough current draw and voltage drop to "miss" a start. That "inrush" that cranetruck describes is KEY!

I had a similar issue on my deuce. Turned out to be a bad crimp on the connector at the starter. I cut the old connector off and replaced it with a good crimp. I was rolling!

Make sure, (and I know you know, just a friendly reminder), to disconnect a negative battery connection before wrenching around. Cuts down on arcing, sparking, and tool welding. ------> :oops:

You probably have a simple fix. At least I hope so. For some reason, those push-button starter switches for the deuce are a little pricey, but I don't know why. I vote you stay with the push-button over the toggle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks