• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce STARTER CAN SELF DESTRUCT IF TESTED WITHOUT LOAD

m52a2

I just dismantled for repair 2 duece starters. Both starters were marked: LEECE-NEVILLE DIVISION SHELLER-GLOBE CORPORATION & 24VDC. The newer starter not dated(1980's?) uses large phillips screws in the outer case to retain the field windings/ The older starter is dated 1971 & uses large slotted screws in the outer case to retain the field windings. Among other diferences I could detail :arrow: ***THE CONDUCTORS IN THE OLDER STARTERS ARMATURE AT THE GEAR END WILL EXPAND FROM CENTRIFUGAL FORCE DUE TO EXCESSIVE RPM STRIKING THE FIELD WINDING IF RUN WITHOUT LOAD*** :!: This was overcome by the manufacturer on the newer starter by wrapping a band of fiberglass tape around the conductors before they applied the sealant thus preventing expansion of the armature conductors when run at excessive speed without load. :arrow: ***WHAT THIS MEANS IS THAT IF YOU HAVE THE OLDER STARTER WITH SLOTTED SCREWS IN THE OUTER CASE RETAINING THE FIELD WINDINGS YOUR STARTER CAN BE SEVERLY DAMAGED DESTROYING BOTH THE FIELD & ARMATURE WINDINGS BY TEST RUNNING THE STARTER ON THE BENCH OR RUNNING THE STARTER ON THE TRUCK WITH A FAILED SOLENOID*** :!: The newer starter with phillips screws in the outer case retaining the field windings seems to be imune to this weekness!/// other differences: older starter has solenoid connecting bolt pinned to fork that moves gear asm making solenoid replacement difficult/ newer starter uses bushing to connect solenoid to connecting fork that moves gear asm making solenoid replacement much easier, older stater has cast iron fork from solenoid to gear asm/newer starter is a stamped fork from solenoid to gear asm but with improved contact area on gear asm, older starter has heavier nose cone with a small lubrication tunnel for the front armature shaft bushing/ newer starter has thinner nose cone but with significantly impoved lubrication tunnel of front armature shaft bushing, older starter has heavier brush spings but they apply oblique force to the end of the brush/ newer starter has thinner brush springs but with improved design applies force directly to the end of the brush.

m52a2

RE: DUECE STARTER CAN SELF DESTRUCT IF TESTED WITHOUT LOAD

To clarify I am NOT refering to a failer of the comutator. but of the armature winding itself bending outward, at the oposite end away from the comutator, and striking the field winding. it apears the older design is LIKELY aua to fail if run without load(NOT just might fail) :!:

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

Thanks that is great info to know. Your truck is awesome I looked at all of the pictures and all I can say is wow. What is the top end with those tires?

m52a2

thanks for the compliment. Top end is somewhere between 65 & 70 mph relined @ 2,700 rpm, much better to run 2,300 rpm on the highway @ around 60 to 65 mph

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

since we are talking starters, is the multi duce and multi 5t starter the same????

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

Ron, yes they are the same, they just have the nose cone indexed differently.

m52a2

From the multifuel in a 5 ton, to the multifuel in a deuce, the number of teeth on the drive gear is the same. The starter is the same part but with the nose cone rotated almost oposite simply remove 6 allen bolts to change position of the nose cone. also the deuce uses an aluminum spacer and longer bolts to mount.
to address the length of time I ran the starter with no load causing failer it was about (3) 5 second intervals after which time the starter started sounding a little rough like it had debri inside. just enough different that i suspected something was up.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Keep in mind that the starting system has virtually no safeguards, it's totally under operator control. Try starting your engine with ear plugs and you'll know what I mean. Usually a starter or its components are destroyed by the operator...

Images from TM 9-2920-242-35 (1964 w/ changes from 1975), which covers at least one of the deuce starters, 2920-00-226-6545.

Attachments

ida34

Re: RE: DUECE STARTER CAN SELF DESTRUCT IF TESTED WITHOUT LO

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
Thanks that is great info to know. Your truck is awesome I looked at all of the pictures and all I can say is wow. What is the top end with those tires?
I have seen the truck in person. It is pretty neat. All I can say is stop hording all that equipment on the back.

Chuck

TedG

RE: Re: RE: DUECE STARTER CAN SELF DESTRUCT IF TESTED WITHOU

So the pile of starters I have can be used for both 2.5 and 5 tonners! Yeah!

Also, your truck is well equipped! Nice looking rig.

AWESOME M52!!!!!

All I can say is WOW! Your M52 looks awesome. We are looking to do the same sort of setup with the rear winch on our M818. It's great to see people tastefully add additions to these already beefy trucks.

On your springs- We had our front springs rearched 3" and added two leaves to give our M812 a healthier stance (like it really needed it!) and we had a heck of a time getting the springs to fit and then once installed the shock absorber was stroked out to it's maximum stroke. We figured if the truck did major twisting it would just pull the shock apart. We then had to go back to the normal spring size. How did you make yours work with the shock?

Once gain- AWESOME WORK! Those front springs look like they are rated at 40k now!

Andy

m52a2

Shock Absorbers for 5 ton with taller front springs

For 5 ton truck with taller front springs: when I replaced the 10 leaf front springs(they also come in 12 leaf) with 17 leaf springs on my m52a2 I found the original front shocks within 1/2 inch of full extension. I used longer front shocks to get shock to it's center of travel with vehicle at rest and vehicle weight on the front axle. Use GABRIAL Fleet-Line part# 85730 shock absorbers. they include the same bushings as the original military shocks

Attachments