• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce tire questions.. READ PLEASE :)

res0wc18

So i want to bob my duece, but the difference being is that i want to make it as short as possible while retaining the dual rear axles setup. So my questions are

1. What would the biggest tire etc i could put on while letting the suspension flex fully still.

2. When i shorten up the duel rear setup is that going to cause drive shaft issues because it will be so short?

3. Does the axle move forward and back more than 3 inches when flexing?

Any other problems ideas you guys see?

What kind of tire size and horse power will the duece axles take with full lockers?

Can you put lock out hubs on the rear axles to eliminate tire scrub?

sermis

Not sure I have ever seen a bobbed deuce with the tandem axle setup left.
Might be interesting to watch the build. I think that if the rear axle has a long enough slip yoke and does not hit the frame / cross member it would work.

Hammer

Hmm, put batteries under passenger seat.
Move fuel tank to where the batteries were.
Take off tool rack.
Move axles forward until the tires almost hit the cab while articulating.
Chop rear frame off for no overhang.

You going to run a flat bed? Or cut down a 105 trailer, a lot?

Like mentioned, with enough slip in the rear drive shaft, there shouldn't be any reason this couldn't work.
Lockers in each rear axle is going to make turning hard, but the lockout hubs would help that.

This would look good with 14.50x20 tires on there. With the shorter wheelbase, they would look pretty big, and you can leave the rear suspension stock.

res0wc18

I tried searching but its all on the old site i think.

Yes i will be running a multipurpose flatbed dump. Im going to have lockers all the way around.

Can the lockout hubs fit on the duel setup or do they have to be singled out?

Its getting powers steering from a BIG fork lift.

I want to put on the biggest tires possible while not rubbing and allowing full flex of the suspension. I dont want to lift it either.

Eventually im going to re do it with air ride off a big over the road trailer.

Im going to make the approach and departure angles as good as possible.

Has anyone ever put a hydraulic pto in place of the stock duece winch pto with little effort?

Also if i had the hubs on all of the rear hubs and unlocked them to free spin, could i put a rear pto winch off the axle since it would be spinning and just not going any where? Then i would use the transmission etc as the gears. Does that make sense?

I forgot to tell you guys that i dont want to single out the tires. But rather put the biggest/ best tires while keeping the tandem axle duel setup.

Last edited:

res0wc18

im going as short as possible. I figure if i relocate all the stuff from underneath the truck i should be able to suck up the axle all the way to cab while under flex. That make sense?

I would use a tractor frame but their is non around me. I have lot of cheap dueces that need help and i would rather cut one of them up.

What do you think? Ill have to get some serious shocks, and when i figure out the air ride it will ride real smooth.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will tell you this from experience. The shorter you make it with the tandems in the rear, the more it will try to plow straight. Big difference in driving my tractor (142" wb) vs. the cargo or wrecker (154"wb).

res0wc18

Also if i had the hubs on all of the rear hubs and unlocked them to free spin, could i put a rear pto winch off the axle since it would be spinning and just not going any where? Then i would use the transmission etc as the gears. Does that make sense?

But if if had the power steering and locking hubs all around and had one unlocked so it could "free spin" Would that make it turn easier?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks