• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce tire selection differences

AMX

What is the difference between singles and duals regarding driving and on/off road capabilities? I also note that there are various sizes of super singles available, how do the different ones affect the trucks driving? Thanks

91W350

Do a search for super singles or 11.00 tires on a deuce or 395s and you should find many threads with both sides voicing their opinions and experiences. Deuce tires would also work.

emr

Search first then ask , u will get allot more info that way, the basic questions will be answered ,... BUT... No matter what anyone says, there is a basic rule tried and true here, first duels are more stable with a load so better if U are going to fill her up, and singles are better for traction, simply because the back tires can drive right thru the path the front tires made, this is the basics,'... And as for tire wear duels last longer, the bigger tires do wear faster, they are more aggressive and are really more off road than on, but it is up to U it is your truck, and experience from the troops here is ..., i will let u know that under a load the big single radials are known for when running low pressure they tend to experience catastrophic side wall failure when fully loaded, and duels have a better ability to not do this, .... these are more than opinions, i like to mention when its an opinion or facts. these are facts. Your question on how do they drive different, WELL... these are tactical trucks, not over the road trucks, u need to understand that first, speeding is not what these trucks were made for, they handle just fine with any of these tires, BUT again, the bigger radials will be much more dangerous on wet and even regular roads, case in point the M 939 series trucks that went to 1400s had a roll over problem , that was later recognized as driver error, but the trucks speed was lowered by order to slow down the drivers, and an ABS brake system was installed to better handle the bigger more bouncy tires, that also like said above are severe off road tires and when driven on roads are well need to be driven with care. these are also facts... fyi, good luck .....

Last edited:

AMX

Search first then ask , u will get allot more info that way, the basic questions will be answered ,... BUT... No matter what anyone says, there is a basic rule tried and true here, first duels are more stable with a load so better if U are going to fill her up, and singles are better for traction, simply because the back tires can drive right thru the path the front tires made, this is the basics,'... And as for tire wear duels last longer, the bigger tires do wear faster, they are more aggressive and are really more off road than on, but it is up to U it is your truck, and experience from the troops here is ..., i will let u know that under a load the big single radials are known for when running low pressure they tend to experience catastrophic side wall failure when fully loaded, and duels have a better ability to not do this, .... these are more than opinions, i like to mention when its an opinion or facts. these are facts. Your question on how do they drive different, WELL... these are tactical trucks, not over the road trucks, u need to understand that first, speeding is not what these trucks were made for, they handle just fine with any of these tires, BUT again, the bigger radials will be much more dangerous on wet and even regular roads, case in point the M 939 series trucks that went to 1400s had a roll over problem , that was later recognized as driver error, but the trucks speed was lowered by order to slow down the drivers, and an ABS brake system was installed to better handle the bigger more bouncy tires, that also like said above are severe off road tires and when driven on roads are well need to be driven with care. these are also facts... fyi, good luck .....
This is the sort of reply I was looking for. I have searched theses forums for months now,I was not looking for (I like this or that, only actual experience based facts) Thank you for the informative reply.

panshark

another good method to getting a question answered is to find a thread that has been responded to plenty, and ask an additional question in the thread. Seems like you're not as likely to catch flak about asking a valid question on page 8 of a thread that might be 2 months--or 4 years--old. A good way to get the old-timers to weigh in and recommend a tire to fit your needs would be to post what your intended purpose for your duece is, max payload, budget, road conditions where you live, etc.

The best thing you can do is get a bunch of people arguing about which tire will best fit your specific needs. In such a situation, you're not going to lose. There are tons of people here who would love to help you safely enjoy the hobby.

What is your off-road environment? (i.e, soft mushy ground, dry dusty, swampy, hilly, tight trails, sharp rocks, etc.)

What wheels are you running? (Stock a2, a3, or something else?)

Are you planning on bobbing/lifting your duece?

In which areas do you feel that your current tires are lacking? (tread life, traction, cool factor, etc)

And last, BUT CERTAINLY NOT LEAST, how much are you looking to spend to upgrade your tires?

emr

Not a prob, there are alot of guys here with years of experience also, thanks for taking it as it was meant to be given, just facts and info from a truck troop that has more documented miles than any other up to the begining of this present gulf war, they all wanted the trucks with duels, the long drives with the singles meant the guys with duels could go get chow and relax while the guys with singles were constantly changing worn out tires, as the convoys were road bound mostly . there can be so many different opinions on tires, it is better to start with the basics,but like said they are opinions of people who like what they have, I have been fortunate enough to run a WW2 cckw and 2 m 35s and compare to m813 to a M925 all in a day in blizzard conditions or to just driving to shows , parades and alot of off road, since they and the different tire set ups u are asking about were all my own for like over 12 years, I almost always had soldiers driving my trucks so we could bring all of them to everything,I also have been an avid 4 wheeler/ mud bogger for like 30 years. But 6 wheelin beats all :) then like so well said above, modify your question to your needs, the driver i did not mention because U asked about tires, the driver can change what tire set up duels or singles are better too, I found the driver is really reall important, to know what u have and understand them , But like i said above, I gave u the basics from Army tests since WW1 these basics still hold true today. Oh let me add another basic, individuals may have different opinions, but the facts are tall narrow tires are better in mud and snow and bigger wide tires are better in sand and rocks, these are basics driver and vehicle can change this, but not by alot, the Military uses big wide tires because we fight in sandy and rocky environments.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks