• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce tires, wet pavement traction

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there an index, number or an established methode to measure wet pavement traction for commonly used deuce tires? We know the radials are far better than the bias ply NDCC's, but what are the numbers? What about siped NDCC's?
The measurement should apply to new and used (say 50%) tires.

On long road trips, it's not possible to count on nice dry weather and the tires do become a safety factor.

Any tire experts out there in deuce-land?

Thanks,

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What ever the number is, it can't be too good. My trip back from Aberdeen was the most rain I've ever driven any of my deuces in. I've been generally lucky. I know that the rain sure makes me slow down.

rdixiemiller

They are Uniroyal Unisteel G286. I picked up a couple at Berg Supply for $35 each a while back. They ride very smoothly on the highway. I admit, I like the looks of NDT's better, but they don't have the ride qualities. Traction either, from what I see posted.

Westech

CPL
yes there is a way to see how good the traction of a tire is. Its a small pin type gauge that pokes the tred and shows you how soft or hard the compound is. we used it on the race car (super late model, one step below ASA) works great, and I can order one for avout 60 bucks give or take.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for your answers! From what I can find on Google etc, there is a hand held siping tool that is used to slice the tread for better wet pavement traction. Works like the old deck shoes.

Does anybody have any experience with this?

When siping is done on a machine, the NDCC tread "lugs" may be cut very close to the edges and chunks of rubber may tear off easily.

On a visit at Memphis Equipment (PA) some years ago, I saw at least one deuce with siped NDCC tires, so I'm sure the army has tried it.
Maybe one day I'll get the nerve to slice up my own tires.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Westech, can you give us some particulars about the siping? Depth, pattern, number of cuts etc? I have more or less decided to stay with NDCC's but will try the siping bit on my next batch to increase traction on wet pavement.
Thanks,

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, just committed to buy a tire grooving/siping tool (ebay). I hope it comes with instructions. :)

Kind of means that I'm staying with NDCC tires after all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks