• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce tranny oil?

DanMartin

http://www.finalube.com/reference_material/API_Automotive_Gear_Lubricant_Service_Categories.htm

MT-1

This designation denotes lubricants intended for non-synchronized manual transmissions in heavy-duty services. Lubricants meeting MT-1 contain thermal stability and extreme pressure additives.

I'm assuming your oil is GL-5? MT-1 rated lubes are designated as yellow metal safe, so it should work fine, but will probably be overkill for a tranny. I plan on running GL-5/MT-1 in all the gearboxes in my deuce to keep things simple (Costco sells 5 gallon buckets of the stuff).

DanMartin

...that didn't come out right. What I meant to say is that going with a good GL-1 should be fine (that's what the military used). Going with a newer GL-4 or GL-5 (with MT-1 rating) will work but you are paying extra for a better lube that will not make a big difference in the transmission. Now, in the differentials, it will make a big difference especially if you use GL-5.

Of course, this is just my opinion based on my own research. I'm sure others out there have more to add...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks