• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce transfer case problems - metal pieces

Rattlehead

Last weekend I noticed after a long drive that, under a float condition (no accel or decel), I heard this rattle noise in the drivetrain. I narrowed it down to the t-case, and can duplicate the noise easily by putting the t-case in neutral and putting the trans in gear and letting out the clutch. The higher the gear selected, the louder the noise. 5th gear it sounds like a bag of marbles. Hearing the noise, I visualize a gear loose on a shaft and rattling around or something. Drained the oil today, and I had these chunks on the magnet (pic below). The noise is present hot and cold, though it seems to be slightly quieter when cold. Only slightly though.

Most of the pieces are flat/thin, though bent up. All the pieces were ferrous(sticks to magnet). The t-case works properly, no popping out of gear, although a little hard to shift now and then. I have a couple of MV events coming up soon, including a trail ride which will be about 500+ miles round trip. Looking for opinions/suggestions:

1. Anyone have an idea what component these pieces are from?
2. Do you think it could make another trip without grenading?
3. Does anyone in SE Michigan have a good T/O transfer case (airshift)?
4. Where can I find an exploded view of the t-case?
5. Is this t-case all gears, or does it have a chain, also?

Suprisingly, that nickel in the photo came out unscathed! :lol:

Attachments

jasonjc

If it where me I'd be looking in side that thing be for I headed out on any kind of trip.
Look in TM 9-2520-246-34 , 34-1 & 34P Those cover the tran and tranfer and are in the tm sec here good luck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gotta have a looksee in there before you head out. Some of it looks like bearing cage material.

Towman2277

Bearing Failure?

Most likely your gonna have a bearing that has failed, and the cage material you see (thats what it appears to be) will do nothing but harm if continued to run. At most without repair, you will lose 1-3 or 2-4 gears when it gives, and the pieces hit the bottom of the casing. Its best to fix it now, then on the side of the road Yikes!!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you can hear the sound when you shift the case into netrual. I would start looking at the input shaft bearings. The other shafts and gears won't be turning when in netrual.
If you lift up the passenger seat and pull the t-case tunnel off you'll see 4 bolts on top of the t-case. Pull that cover and you will be able to see the input shaft. Be careful when you lift the plate off. There should be a spring and ball that holds pressure on the shift rod. This spring and ball may try to come out when you pull the cover. You won't be able to see a hole lot under this cover but you will be able to see a few of the bearings.
The memphis equipment parts manual gives a decent parts explosion.
It looks like cage material to me also. But i'd change every bearing on the shaft with the bad bearing. The others have been through the same use and may not be far behind the one that's failing.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
See the drawing. There are 6 ball bearings on the input shaft (marked red) Two for each gear and two, one front one rear for the shaft itself. Probably the rear bearing failed, it takes all the load most of the time (high gear side). For inspection remove the rear cover (or TC- PTO). Try if you can feel any radial play at the end of the shaft, also at the front side.
In any case that TC should be pulled out, disassembled and inspected for other damage!

Gerhard

Attachments

rizzo

my friend has a t-case that won't go into low. it moves past neutral, but won't click in of get close enough to even make the gears grind. Do you know of any commmon solutions?

Rattlehead

Manual shift transfer case?

I called Adelman's in OH, they say they have Rockwell T-136's that are manual shift, via rod/linkage. No sprag or airshift ones, and the guy says he never heard of such. He said they have used ones and govt (mililtary) rebuilt ones. What is this manual shift t-case all about? Did the military use them?

jasonjc

RE: Manual shift transfer case?

The shifting is manual on all of them its just the front axle ingament that is air or sprag. They may have missunderstood what you were asking for??

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rattlehead: Sure we are talking about manually engaging high/low AND the front drive ? Never heard of such but they should know!? :?
Obviously you could arrange some kind of shifting mechanism for the front output of the sprag type T-136-21. Same for the air shift T-136-27 if you eliminate the small air cylinder and hook up a shifting rod and install a seal and... But why all that if there are good complete (air shift) takeouts out there for less than $200? Just have to find them in your area… Last year I was lucky, bought a dozen for $100 ea., but that was in Ca.

rizzo

don't they have a kit that changes the sprag t-case to a manual shift positive locking front drive.

so they use the manual lever from the sprag case and instead of shifting sprags it shifts the front output on and off by moving replacement gears that they put in in place of the sprags?

I'm pretty sure that is what they are doing. not positive though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks