• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce transmission, 3rd gear.

M35A2

I have just spoke with the guy who is selling the M35A2 and Gama Goat that is for sale in the previous thread on ebay and milweb. He has told me that in third gear, there is a problem with it engaging. He said that if the clutch pedal is all the way down, it doesn't want to go in, but as he lifts the clutch pedal to near the top it goes in then. He also said that if you floor the gas then lift off straight away (to make the truck jerk) it pops out of third. It doesn't do this in any other gear.

What do you think this problem is? Is this a common problem with Deuce gearboxes? Do they suffer from 3rd gear problems, are they easy to fix? It sounds like either a worn selector/slip ring/cog?

I would appreciate it if you guys could give me some feed back on this truck and the problems. I have arranged a test drive for next Friday at Beltring. If it's good when I see it, then I will buy it.

He also said it does 50 MPH at 2000RPM, does a good 10 MPG, has the plastic load cover. The fuel gauge sender is shot and the oil pressure gauge is not working properly (the needle shoots right over to max), he thinks the engine is a White and it's an LDT-465-1C. Registered 1958. It's had the foot steps welded to.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let approach this from reverse.

The guages are no biggy. Either YOU can order them from Saturn or Memphis or whomever over here. Or who ever sells them over there.

Hell, I'd even ship them to you if you paid for them and the shipping.

The 3rd gear problem is a bit more work, but I'm fairly confident you or your mechanic could figure it out.

I'm by NO MEANS a tranny guy. But it sounds like either 3rd gear is shot or the synchro for 3rd gear is shot. OR BOTH. But again, over here, while not cheap it is fixable. And again, once you find out what the problem is and which parts you need, order them and be done with it. Again, I would be happy to be your intermediary for these parts for no charge. You buy the parts. Get them shipped to me and pay for shipping from me to you and you will have them. No big deal.

It's kind of like my tires. I looked at LOTS of tires. I just did NOT like the looks of the NDT OR THE NDCC's. And I wanted Super Singles. I LOVED the Michelins I ended up with. But by NO MEANS were they cheap. BUT as they will last at least 100K miles, I will have to spend that money only once. Granted it was $1700 (about 900 pounds) but as far as I'm concerned, well worth the money.

Besides, IT'S ONLY MONEY. When I run out, I stop spending. Until I have more, then I spend again. It's a viscious cycle I tell ya...

jim

M35A2

wallew said:
Let approach this from reverse.

The guages are no biggy. Either YOU can order them from Saturn or Memphis or whomever over here. Or who ever sells them over there.

Hell, I'd even ship them to you if you paid for them and the shipping.

The 3rd gear problem is a bit more work, but I'm fairly confident you or your mechanic could figure it out.

I'm by NO MEANS a tranny guy. But it sounds like either 3rd gear is shot or the synchro for 3rd gear is shot. OR BOTH. But again, over here, while not cheap it is fixable. And again, once you find out what the problem is and which parts you need, order them and be done with it. Again, I would be happy to be your intermediary for these parts for no charge. You buy the parts. Get them shipped to me and pay for shipping from me to you and you will have them. No big deal.

It's kind of like my tires. I looked at LOTS of tires. I just did NOT like the looks of the NDT OR THE NDCC's. And I wanted Super Singles. I LOVED the Michelins I ended up with. But by NO MEANS were they cheap. BUT as they will last at least 100K miles, I will have to spend that money only once. Granted it was $1700 (about 900 pounds) but as far as I'm concerned, well worth the money.

Besides, IT'S ONLY MONEY. When I run out, I stop spending. Until I have more, then I spend again. It's a viscious cycle I tell ya...

jim

Thanks Jim, you are a real gentleman.

Thanks for the offer of shipping stuff out to me over the water. Of course I would pay for all that would need paying for, and I too can retern the compliment and say that if there is anything that you need from the UK, the same applies. Having found out that the deuce tranny is English built, I am going to call the company and ask them if they do parts for these boxes. Mind you, I have never taken apart a gearbox, despite my modest mechanical abilities.

I hope they are easy to remove from the truck?

Cheers Jim.

FrankUSMC

Dennis
I have a box full of guages, NOS, and used. If you get the truck I will see if I have an oil guage. It will be yours if you need it. I owe you.
One of the few, Frank

M35A2

FrankUSMC said:
Dennis
I have a box full of guages, NOS, and used. If you get the truck I will see if I have an oil guage. It will be yours if you need it. I owe you.
One of the few, Frank

Frank,

Was your post aimed at me? I'm Andy, not Dennis. If it was, and I get the truck I will take you up on your offer, thanks.

I will see if I can sort out our arrangement today when I finish work. I've been busy lately and haven't been able to post it. But I finish work early today.

Thanks

Andy.

24-VOLTS

Hi Frank,

I could use a air presure, fuel, oil gauges if you were interested in selling some. I would only need use if you have some available ?

Thanks

Phill

FrankUSMC

Andy
Sorry about that! The 70s were very unkind to me......
Let me know what you will need once you have the truck.
One of the few, Frank

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks