• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce vs 5 ton buying advice

ronniek

I've just recently became interested in these big trucks. i have decided to purchase one soon. I am not sure which way to go. Am wanting to know which would be best for off road in rough and muddy terrain. Is one better than the other? I do know that I want the multi fuel engine. Also, does bobbing it make any difference when operating off road. Can I go places in a bobbed truck that I can't go in the stock configuration?

Vintage iron

Well, if you want multifuel then I would say M39 series trucks is best (M54 etc) you would have power steering for the big tires and the heavy duty axles. I would not recommend bobbing it for off road unless you plan on going in a lot of sand. 1400 tires have the best performance too, 1600's are to close in the rear and have fitment issues on the front. But that is just my two cents.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 5 ton power steering automatic transmission and would not go back to deuce.
And they all will get stuck.
Even a tank.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a M813 5 ton and then a deuce, I prefer the deuce. While the 5 ton power steering was nice the slightly smaller size of the deuce worked better for me. They had comparable top speeds but the deuce seemed a little more nimble. Of course in a perfect world I'd recommend you get both! They're both great trucks and if you can afford it I'd say you'll be happy with both. I have preservationist tendencies so I wouldn't recommend a bobbed truck but to each their own. I feel a 6x6 is more capable, but 4x4 may work better in a few cases. Some members here have done very nice bobbed trucks so as you search, read, and become familiar with all the different variations you might decide a bobbed truck will work better for your intended use.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a thread about this same subject just a few days ago. I search would give you several results.

In my opinion deuce is better off road than a 5-ton, a little more maneuverable and can go better in mud. In my experience, I can go right through a mud hole with my deuce that a 5-ton got stuck in. I think it's mainly due to the extra weight of the 5-ton. Bobbers will go even better.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say they are both capable trucks .
And a 5 ton is just as maneuverable as deuce.
I can go were ever a deuce goes at rally

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a thread about this same subject just a few days ago. I search would give you several results.

In my opinion deuce is better off road than a 5-ton, a little more maneuverable and can go better in mud. In my experience, I can go right through a mud hole with my deuce that a 5-ton got stuck in. I think it's mainly due to the extra weight of the 5-ton. Bobbers will go even better.
I thought Bobbers are less capable off road, but that discussion may be better suited in a search for the plethora of information already out there.

I personally prefer the 6x6, so a bit bias. :)

ronniek

Thanks all for the advice. I guess it does have a lot to do with personal preference. I think I am going with the Deuce, not bobbed. What are your thoughts on 10 wheels vs. 6 wheels?

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks all for the advice. I guess it does have a lot to do with personal preference. I think I am going with the Deuce, not bobbed. What are your thoughts on 10 wheels vs. 6 wheels?
6 wheels are better off road, 10 wheels gives you some ability to limp home if you lose a tire and don't have a spare.

I like the look of the singled out deuce better, and taller tires gives you a bit higher top speed, but you sacrifice some power.

I have tires and MRAP wheels and plan on making some adaptors later this year. My wheels are aluminum, so wanted a shouldered adaptor. Plan on making adaptors out of aluminum vs. the steel versions available on here.