• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce vs Jeep Commander

Staffsargent

I was driving home from a parade today when a drunk in a Jeep Commander cut me off. I thought I hit a pot hole till I looked down and saw the Jeep in front of my duece. He clipped the LF of my bumper. I slowed down and started to pull over, but the drunk in the Jeep just took off. A friend who was sitting in the duece with me said to try to catch him. (Yeh Right!) What I could see the Jeep Commander has a LOT of damage to the RR of his Jeep. Now I know what happens when someone hits a duece. Just a slight bent bumper!

tamangel

might want to give your insurance guy a heads up on this..Just in case..I know you didnt get a plate and you had no damage, but you never know whats in someone else's mind on done the road..Maybe even a police report..just an idea and sometimes more complicated opening your mouth to all the paperwork...but would be in the record in case..

my son the insurance investigator, commenting on an 'accident' a friend of mine had (he didn't know there was an accident until he got a letter in the mail from Houston PD advising he was a suspect in a hit and run) :

>In some cases, you'll have people who pick a license
> plate of a vehicle which looks well insured and report
> they were struck by that vehicle. Sometimes they'll
> conveniently have an "independent" witness lined up
> who saw everything and can attest to the accident
> taking place. They'll report it to the police to be
> sure they appear to have their bases covered.

> Generally (especially in Texas), the police aren't
> well equipped to investigate possible insurance fraud.
> They'll investigate this is a hit & run and decide if
> enough evidence is present to charge the "offender".
> However, they may not have the resources or motive to
> fully investigate the person who is making the
> accusation.
>
> I would immediately report the accident to my insurer.
> Explain all the circumstances and allow them to
> investigate. They have special investigators who have
> the time and resources to investigate the accuser and
> see if there are any prior claims issues with any
> insurer which suggests fraud may be afoot. They can
> investigate whether the accuser and any "witness" had
> a prior relationship. I had a paper accident about a
> year ago where we discovered a passenger in a truck
> who was claiming extensive accident related injury had
> been an independent witness in an accident involving
> another insurance company about 9 months prior.
>
> I know people don't want to report accidents to their
> insurer if they don't feel they did anything wrong,
> but their insurance company is there to act in their
> best interest and not to just pay 3rd parties when
> claims are made. They devote more time and energy to
> investigating these things than law enforcement is
> generally able to, and auto insurance exists to
> protect the interest of those they insure. Sometimes
> this means paying 3rd party claims, but often it means
> denying them and going after the other party.
>

I know not the same as your incident but info only on the 'witness' thing...

my 2 centavos...

Mike

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd get a police report done, and put it away for a while.. As for telling the insurance company??????? Uhhh, I'd not..... Do you really want to give them an excuse to raise your rates for nothing?

Mike_Pop

John,

It was probably someone from New York right?

I agree with tamangel...get a police report. You've now got a hit and run on your hands and it needs to be reported. You know enough cops in the Central Jersey Military Motor Pool club that can help you out. (Like the plug for the club?)

tamangel

I edited my comments above after reading the ones below..

My son's an insurance investigator in Texas (hence the reference)..

Mike

nattieleather

I agree with the above statements on CYA!

As for civy vehicle vrs M35. My wife and my kids were working on my old M35A2 a few years ago and my son was just learning to drive. So my wife thought she would let him practice in the lot were I was storing the duce. I was working on the other side of the truck when I felt and saw the truck jiggle ever so slightly. My son had backed my wifes car into the mud flap of the truck. The mud flap was bent a little. My wifes car had a deep crease in the trunk lid... :) I took my 8 lbs hammer and with two wacks the mud flap was good as new...LOL.

emr

I for one would never call the insurance co, let the police know if U like, but the insurance is always a bad idea in my mind,They do not need to know unless something comes up. they will put U down as having an accident , it will cost U.....Randy.

EO2NMCB

I would call my insurance co, just to CYA. Chances are nothing with the hit and run driver will ever come up, but you just never know. You were not at fault and had little to no damage, therefore no claim with them. Its alot better to be safe than sorry. just my 2cents

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The damage to your bumper is probably less than your deductable. Your insurance company will thank you for the courtesy call, but probably won't even want you to make the claim.

The H&R report is not a bad idea. That way, the guy in the Jeep can't run home and call 9-1-1 and say, "some guy in a BIGGER jeep hit me! :cry:

saddamsnightmare

MArch 18th, 2008.

I'll bet that leprechaun in the Jeep Cammander had one green milkshake too many!!! In any case, I'd report it to the cops for the police report, just to CYA. Felt like a pothole, eh? Speaks well for the M35A2 crumple zone (the other vehicle). Did your Air Bags Deploy?? That'll save you at least $2000.00 on repairs. Good luck in straightening the bumper.

Regards,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Vietnam and Desert Storm Veteran Deuce.
""??"" Johnson MFG Co. M105A2 Cargo Trailer in 4 color MERDC or NATO woodland scheme
1963 Swiss Army Cargo "Stealth" Unimog S404.114 Mercedes Benz

hoopsoft

Glad to hear your ok, and too bad he could drive off to hit someone else..

So how does one straighten a 5 ton or deuce bumper, I don't think I would have tools that big. 3' long pipe wrench with 8' of cheater pipe?

I was driving home from a parade today when a drunk in a Jeep Commander cut me off. I thought I hit a pot hole till I looked down and saw the Jeep in front of my duece. He clipped the LF of my bumper. I slowed down and started to pull over, but the drunk in the Jeep just took off. A friend who was sitting in the duece with me said to try to catch him. (Yeh Right!) What I could see the Jeep Commander has a LOT of damage to the RR of his Jeep. Now I know what happens when someone hits a duece. Just a slight bent bumper!
Sorry that you got hit...but at least everything is OK (minus one bumper).

My main Q: how do you know he was drunk?

tjcouch

I expect he thought the truck was active duty and freaked out at the ramifications of hitting a Fed truck.

As for the advice posted on this thread - I concur.

I also doubt anything will come of it - I am sure the driver, if he was in fact impaired, got quite a wakeup call.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks