• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Winch canvas cover for cable?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,

I was wondering if such thing was ISSUED according to the Army. I have seen them for sale at shows, but none with NSN's or Part #'s or offical markings. I was wondering if the Army had them years ago. I think it is a good idea to have one on when driving the truck to keep rain, snow, road debris etc out of the winch cable..

Here is an online pic.
http://www.newlifecanvas.com/8422/10727.html

Just wondering.

Thanks!

acetomatoco

The frog army put covers on their CCKW winches... every one I saw was rusted to heck and the cover was rotting off.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It might be nice for a parade or a show but just about I have ever put under something like that rusts and collects moisture.

:-(

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like I said, I'd use the cover only with driving to keep road debris/ bugs out of it. When put away, the cover would come off to moisture doesnt form and rot the canvas and rust the cable.

But back to the original question. Was it ever a issued item?

BEASTMASTER

you want the winch uncovered while you're driving so the wind will blow thru the cable .i put an old washtub under mine and pure my old motor oil over it,at least twice a year.the cables been on there for 3 years and looks brand new.and it was used when i put it on.just make sure you always park on a dirt driveway. :driver:

emr

If U dont do any maintanece the cover is NOT for U, But for me it holds the grease on longer and has NO UV wear and tear on the cable and grease!, UV damage is the worst for every thing, it starts the breakdown and rain snow and ice take over from there, In the Army were one will cover it and let it rot... sure, But for the guys who say they are up on all the maintanence ??? ...so its a no brainer for me.Looks good and has an important use IF U maintanin it...ALL my cables have been pulled and maintained first when i got each truck and every couple of years after, all covered and ALL SWEET!!! :D Randy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks