• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce winch parts needed... Ooops!

1stDeuce

Well, I just got a phone call... It sounds like my buddy exploded the worm housing on my winch today... I think the drive was engaged even though the lock plate in the cab was down, and he flipped the front engage/disengage lever with the engine running and it pretty much just went "POP!". (I guess it was in Low not Reverse. :(

Am I going to find another side housing for this thing, or did my W/W just become a WO/W?? I know where there are some old gasser trucks in a junkyard in Northern MI, but I don't think any of the deuces had winches...

Oh, and I guess I have to thank uncle sam... Turns out the shear pin hole has a 1/4" grade 8 bolt through it. Bummer, heavy sigh.

(Pics tomorrow in the daylight for those of you who like to see busted stuff...)
Chris

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
If the housing is in fact burst (and with a grade 8 bolt, there is a good chance of it), it is more practical to replace the entire winch than to replace the housing (which requires a total tear down of the winch). Also, examine the transmission casing where the PTO is attached carefully, frequently they crack in this area when subjected to this much stress.

Sorry to hear of your trouble.

Regards,
David Doyle

ida34

Chris,
I have to go through my winch for installation. When I am done I will probably have a winch assembly for you. I may not get to it until summer the way things are going but if you can wait I can probably help.l Your proximity is the reason I speak up even though I am not ready to sell it just yet.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have that half of a winch at Steel Soldiers house in Franklin VA. It doesn't have the dog clutch side with it. If you chooses to tear down your winch, this is available. If you scrap your winch, I may be interested in the dog clutch side. Right now I have more winches than deuces.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's still in the driveway where it's been since I picked it up. :) If only I would have taken it to Aberdeen along with that 55 gallon drum of WVO that is still sitting behind my office (Bjorn) ;)

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I probably will run the WVO in the 818 when it warms up a bit. I just like giving you a hard time about it :D

Chris, if you decide to buy Kenny's parts winch, let me know and I'll get you some pics of it.

jatonka

And please pass the word that you know the grade 8 1/4" bolt had plenty to do with screwing up your winch. Several fellows here on the SS site have the correct winch shear pins available. Including me. John Tennis

1stDeuce

Pics for the visually stimulated...

Here's the pics I promised... Looks like the bottom of the worm housing blew out. I think the 1/4" bolt right there at the first u-joint is supposed to be the shear pin, isn't it?

Luckily the cable was all hooked through the tow eyes and to the bumper, so it all came tight just before the cable clevis tore through the rear spacer plate and radiator.

Thanks for the help with parts, I'll PM the two of you later.

Note to all: Inspect your new GL trucks for a shear pin... Install one if there's a bolt in it's place. The failure mode w/o shear pin is NOT COOL.

C

Attachments

spicergear

RE: Pics for the visually stimulated...

Nice pic- Your buddy owes you about $300-$400 bucks. Do yourself a favor and when you respool that cable on, cut about 75' off of it and throw eyelets and two-three cable clamps per end and have a nice tow/extension cable. With a full spool, usually around 200', if a side pull happens you only have about two cable plies before you bind the winch up. Cutting off cable helps that and allows you to actually pull some cable in before you get to that point. Also, 125' isn't that bad.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ouch, I'd just look for another rather than rebuilding, cheaper and easier.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i would say its not the buddys fault with that #8 bolt there, unless he put it there

ida34

Re: RE: Deuce winch parts needed... Ooops!

steelsoldiers said:
It's still in the driveway where it's been since I picked it up. :) If only I would have taken it to Aberdeen along with that 55 gallon drum of WVO that is still sitting behind my office (Bjorn) ;)
Obviously I have this whole thing wrong. I store my parts at my house. Now I see that I should spread my parts out across the county to make them available on road trips and to cut down on storage space. :lol:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Hey, if there is a winch shifter lever left over when you are done, I would like to know how much you want for it.

ida34

RE: Re: RE: Deuce winch parts needed... Ooops!

If you don't make a deal with Kenny let me know and I could try and speed up my plans and get the winch checked out in the next month or so.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks