• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce with boom

Owlgwar

New guy here. I drove duece's at Ft. Bragg and while in Reserves, but never maintained them. I "think" I want duece with boom for obtaining logs and building log cabin in N. Idaho. I found one listing but vehicle has auto trans and possibly bent frame. I have the following questions after searching this site. How many miles is multi-fuel good for? How conservative is the weight rating (bent frame common)? Do I want such a vehicle to use on my remote 10 acres and for prowling logging roads for additional logs?
Anyone have a lead on 5spd, telescopic boom, duece ($3000-7500)? thanks.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The weight rating is ultra conservative. The bent frame is probably abuse. Often Folks think these trucks ar bullet proof and they are close, but nothing is "Fool Proof"! The boom above, is the cadallac. The poor mans boom is an "A" fame boom off the front bumper, usuing your winch.

If you use a headache rack behind the cab with two guys coming back to each corner, you can assemble the two legs of the A-frame on the ground, run the line through the shiev at the top of the boom & back to the headache rack - it will lift the boom using the winch, so you can adjust/attache the guys.

I loaded many a log ( and lots of other stuff that wasn't tied down) using this sort of arrangement on a M-37. An M-35 will work swell too.

Lee in Alaska

ems4ty

Cranetruck - Beautiful Crane my man! Love It! Wish I could get my hands on one. (I seem to recall that money and location is an issue for me) Guess I'll have to stick with my M35 Gasser.

Cya!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
That is a different style, is that a hydraulic cylinder extention coming out above the"cross"? Got any more pics?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RICE670 said:
1950s hiab. pulls in 25 ft. of cable from retracted to extended.
Interesting bit of history. Thanks for posting!
Must have been early '50s, since I remember seeing knucklebooms on trucks in the mid 1950's or so (in Sweden)....of course, they could have coexisted..

ygmir

yeah, it was fun, thanks,
we got 2' of snow, when it was just supposed to be "flurries".......
Had to walk the last 1/2 mile in, each carrying a battery and ether, just in case.....I'm on the left. We didn't need the ether, just ran the pre heater as it cranked, started much quicker than I had exptected.
It was a "brisk" ride out, 16 miles, but, with all that weight, the truck motored through better than my one ton dually 4x4 with studded tires.....
And, the giggles from the Jeepers, ATVers, etc that I passed.......they'd laugh and point.....probably thought Sasquatch had stolen a crane......hahaha

beaubeau

vgmir, Those pics remind me of when I built my Post and Beam in 96. I had an old Allis Chalmers back hoe and when the time came to put 5in x10in x 24ft Rafters, I chained a 20ft x 8in Hemlock to the boom and bucket and the wife ran the BH while I guided everything in place. I had a chain on the pole with a Strap to the Rafters, with a strap in hand hoocked to the Short end of the rafter, all went well!!!
It's amazing when the PROFFESSIONALS say U can't use a Crane on a Post and Beam to place rafters, And then It is done!!
Love all the Pics Phil

ygmir

Thanks Phil
I love " success through improvisation, too."

Rice 670:
I think I have that same bed like your truck sitting here in my yard, does it have a folding step type thing in the middle of the tailgate?

And, to address the author of this thread:
Welcome:
The following, in my experience, all relate to the M35A2.....
The miles a deuce is good for are very subjective..........so much depends on use and maintenance during it's life.
also, you can't always trust what the odometer says......or hour meter......they sometimes get changed over the years due to failure, and, are just as likely to have come from a "parts" truck, just switched meters.......
That said, they do last a long time.....do the usual checks for condition.

The trucks are rated to haul 5 tons "on-road", and, personally, I've put more on and been just fine. I've gone as far as 8 ton, for a short drive, but, I'd not recommend that........grin........

I'd say it'd be a great rig for the use you describe.......you can even use improvised fuels if needed in the "mountiains".........
Just don't be in a hurry, they're not real fast......great trucks, though, especially considering "cost per pound".......hahaha

If you do find a truck, and, need a crane, I have the above mentioned one here, in northen CA if you'd want to add it....

good luck

RICE670

Rice 670:
I think I have that same bed like your truck sitting here in my yard, does it have a folding step type thing in the middle of the tailgate?
No tailgate. It is a pole setter truck(V18A) missing the auger drive off the back.The crane is where it is because there is a winch mounted behind the cab.

ygmir

I think that is a good spot for a crane, maximum reach......I put mine there, just for that reason.
I chose to put outriggers (manual) straight back, in addition to the side ones, though. I felt I needed them as a safety thing, in case I picked up to much weight off the back and the truck wanted to flipt that way. I set them a few inches off the ground, so, that, if I'm maxing the counterbalance to the front, they'll hit before it'd start to flip, and, indicate to me I'm "pushing" it......

Just a thought.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks