• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuces in use........

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's an interesting cabin, at a very scenic location! Got any more pics of the cabin and its surroundings? I love a good mountain view like that....

Armada

That is one sturdy cabin, you must be quite a ways up. Strong winds, deep snow, and the occasional forrest fire will not bring it down.... :)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I saw these pics while looking throught the pic section a while ago. What caused the crane deuce to roll over?

ygmir

I'll try again......

Hi all,
I can send pics, or, post them if people want, of the cabin under construction, since, it's not done yet.
It's octagonal.
The 8 main beams are 8"x16"x18', the headers are 4"x12".
The roof steel is 1/4" steel plate, sheared and formed to size, connected with 1/2" bolts every 6", on a 12/12 pitch.
The walls are 8" concrete block, filled with 6 sack concrete with steel on 8" centers up and across.
It will then have another 6" or so of granite masonry outside that.
It's at 5800' el. So, lots of wind and snow.........
A beautiful spot in the Sierra's, near my home here in Grass Valley, CA.

The pics of the crane on it's lid were due to either the fact that I left it out of gear, not likely, or, the next door teenagers friends fooling around and left it that way. It rolled, seemingly on it's own, down the hill behind my house and flipped as it turned and hit a stump, on a steep hillside.

Thanks,
Henry

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: I

Please post them I love construction projects like that and trucks and this meets both criteria. Beautiful location and very nice cabin will keep you secure for sure. I would worry more about vandals than snow sleet wind or fire.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Noticed you pointing out that the deuce is at idle, thus smoking, while operating the crane.
It will feel much better at a higher rpm, say 1,200-1,400 and won't smoke.
Compare images below (cranetruck running on a mix of diesel and WVO).

What are you building, a bombshelter? :)

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, is your radiator partially covered in that picture? That will help keep them from smoking at idle while under a light load as well.

ygmir

bomb shelter?.....hmmmmmmm, perhaps...
I'm trying to build in the old tradition of having something last for centuries.........kind of a family monument/cabin, for the ages.....
Also,
with the fires we get here, snow, high winds, you gotta build something strong to survive.
Not to mention potential vandals..........

Bjorn, what are you building?
I'm thinking my truck is the evil/ugly twin to yours.......hahahaaha
I see your windshield frame is much straighter than mine.......watch when a friend says the load is hooked up right..........

Henry

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks