• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuces: maintenance-intensive, or not?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, time to start a discussion on maintenance issues on the deuce. Here's the thing:

I've heard some folks who talk about maintenance all the time, doing the Lubrication Order to the letter, etc., basically calling the deuce a maintenance intensive truck. They work on their trucks all the time to get them running right, lubed right, serviced correctly, and it seems like the maintenance never stops.

Then I've heard of some folks that beat the living crap out of their deuces, without thinking twice about lubing all the time, checking the brake fluid every week or so. They work the heck outta it, doing construction or farm work, and could care less about PM because, well, every time they ask the truck to do work it does it.

So the question is: in your opinion, is the deuce a maintenance intensive vehicle, or is it not? And why?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It all depends on what you start out with and how big of a gambler you are...

If you start out with a mechanically decent/nice truck, you do your PMCS, and your in good shape off the bat. If you start out with a beater that hasnt been maintained, your in for alot of work IF you decide to get it into decent running shape.

I started out with an EXCELLENT truck, went thru all my systems that I wanted to go thru (brakes, fuel, engine, etc) and now have absolutely ZERO concerns about if I take it for a ride of however many miles that it will it make it back.

Sure, you can choose NOT to do maintainance, but the breakdown "gamble" and associated costs of the tow usually far outweigh the cost of the PM services. In my state, if you break down on an Interstate highway down by me, if the PD shows up, they immediately call a contracted tow for you to move you off the interstate, no matter if you have a buddy thats 2 minutes away thats coming to get you or fix the problem. The only excpetion is a flat tire if your actively working on changing it.

If the humvee breaks down, its not a huge cost to get towed. If the deuce breaks, thats a big chunk of change.

I'd rather spend the time upfront wrenching/changing stuff like I did, and how have complete confidence that if something breaks now, it was probably something that didnt give any warning of it's demise and that no amount of PM would of caught.

55Cameo

I guess I fall into the catagory of 'beat the heck out of it' because I don't follow the TM's and I do abuse my Deuce on a regular basis. It just keeps going, kinda like the energizer bunny.

70deuce

NOT!! Most of us drive these old warriors relatively little over a year. To me if you go completely through the lube order once every few years that should keep these trucks running up to par except for the brake system. All of these air over hydraulic based trucks need to have that master cylinder reservoir checked regularly. As with any vehicle a at least once a year oil change wouldn't hurt the truck. But boy does it hurt the pocket book now. New leaks, sounds, screwy tire wear should be investigated as always. I guess I am lucky my deuce has needed very little attention since I owned it. Starts right up, gets around 11 MPG and is a blast to drive. I guess if you get a lemon they could be very maintenance intensive but they are like the old VW Bug. Change the engine oil regularly, keep all the other fluids topped off and give the truck a good look over once in awhile and these things will run forever with very little attention.

rockman

Not many miles so the maintenance is easy. It should be the fun part of the hobby but I have not had to do a real big repair so far. Keep up the fluids and drive it responsiblly and the maintenance is minor. My wife's modern jeep requires much more maintenance than my truck.

Bill in TN, getting ready for the 4th parade....

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It isn't intensive, like needing work all the time, It just needs to be rolled under and loked at it before and after a trip, or, if you only drive it on the weekends to the store, a couple times a month.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks