• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuces still in use?

kcimb

Are Deuces still in use in the US military? I recall one member here found an abandoned deuce at a base in Iraq but other than that nothing else. The a3 supposedly was an inter-rim vehicle pending the FMTV trucks.

So..are they?

deuceman51

Well I know they are alive and well in the National Guard as far as M35s go. We don't have any LMTVs at my guard unit and i'm glad. I didn't like them at all in training at Ft. Leonard Wood. The old 5 tons still outperformed the new LMTVs down there as far as dump trucks go. I know there were still a few down there, but mostly the active army is using the LMTVs.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read somewhere a while back that the military still has in excess of 15,000 to 20,000 M35 series trucks. A lot of those are M35A3s, but the military has been known for many decades to stash stuff away in warehouses, back lots, tank parks, etc., just in case a major war ever broke out and a lot of spare gear was needed. Left over mentality from the Cold War, and it was a good mentality. This explains why there are a lot of deuces coming out of inventory with obsolete 4-color MERDC camo, with bumper marking showing units that were phased out long ago.

kcimb

maddawg308 said:
I read somewhere a while back that the military still has in excess of 15,000 to 20,000 M35 series trucks. A lot of those are M35A3s, but the military has been known for many decades to stash stuff away in warehouses, back lots, tank parks, etc., just in case a major war ever broke out and a lot of spare gear was needed. Left over mentality from the Cold War, and it was a good mentality. This explains why there are a lot of deuces coming out of inventory with obsolete 4-color MERDC camo, with bumper marking showing units that were phased out long ago.
Still can't understand why they dumped hundreds of m60s and m113s into the sea off of NJ....hopefully they'll never dump the trucks there too.

acetomatoco

VT NG is converting the last of their M35 series stuff this year.. About 65 Deuces left..most are kinda rusty. The FMTVs, rebuilt Hummers and 900 series 5 tons are coming in for replacements.

nattieleather

Two weeks ago as I was finnishing up my AT at beautiful Camp Perry on the shores of Lake Erie and US Army reserve unit came in. Engineers getting ready to deploy to Iraq and needed some range time had about Six M35A3s....I talked to the Battalion S-3 and S-4 about them and they said as far as they knew they were going to have them for another 5 or 6 years.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks