• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Did I fry anything?!!?

Dave 52804

My 1028 had some belts squealing pretty bad at start up, so I figured it was time to tighten up the alternator belts. When I loosened up the passenger side alternator it slid all of the way toward the engine, and the positive wire terminal must've got grounded and I heard a couple of clicks before I could move it back, I thought one came from somewhere in the firewall. The truck started back up just fine, and the voltage gage was fully in the green, but this was at 92 degrees with a warm engine. Did I fry anything??? Thanks for the help guys.

ryan77

You will know soon enough!!! 25 year old wiring and u grounded the alternator good luck!! Keep a fire ext handy and get ready to pull the battery cables!!!!!!!!!!!

chupa

Did that solve the squealing? Mine does the same for the first 3 minutes after start up. My neighbor's must love it at 4:15am o'clock in the morning time when I go to work.

kentuckycucv

The intermitent squeeling is the glow plug relay pulling juice from the altinators to the glow plugs until the truck warms up.... and if you (my guess) have the GP relay running off of 24v thru the resistor both batteries and both altinators are drawing current, making stereo phonic duel belt squeeling. a noise unique to the CUCV.:cool:

Dave 52804

WHEW!! I got lucky here. I went out this morning and the truck was fine, glow plugs cycled on "clicked" off and it fired right up. Voltage gage needle is in the green, best of all the nasty squealing pretty much went away after tightening up the alternator belts. P.S-Thanks for the replies!![thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks