• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Did the trannies get replaced when they did military engine upgrades 6.5?

Skrilex

Banned
I have a 85 m998, well, not yet but I hope to soon.. the valve cover on the engine has a painted “6.5” on it so I’m assuming it was a replacement by the military at some point. Does this mean the trans and Tcase would’ve also been replaced or changed? Was there a school of thought there or do I have to wait to find out what trans and case combo I have?

is it safe to even assume that because it’s painted with a 6.5 that it is a 6.5?

suzukovich

All depends. Alot didn't get rebuilt as evidence of the number of Humvees with the 6.2. Generally the rebuilds will have the 6.5 GEP and will have the EPA exemption on the valve covers . What did happen as an engine died or failed the AOP sampling they would replace just the engine. This could be what happened here. Instead of a 6.2 the dropped in a 6.5. When you get your humvee look for rebuild tags.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

donkren

I'm pretty sure that you can tell a 6.5 from a 6.2 at a glance by looking at the lug that holds the tach drive in place (it looks like just like the lug cast in the block to accept a bolt that holds a distributor in place on a gas engine) If that lug is on the left side, it is a 6.2. If it is on the right it is a 6.5. I do not believe a trans or transfer case would have been changed without cause, unless the whole truck was being rebuilt, in which case it would get an appropriate tag.

Skrilex

Banned
Cool got it. So if a truck needed an engine they would install one alone. If a truck needed total rebuild they would swap the entire drivetrain to 6.5 + 4sp trans

suzukovich

Cool got it. So if a truck needed an engine they would install one alone. If a truck needed total rebuild they would swap the entire drivetrain to 6.5 + 4sp trans
No on the rebuilds they usually replace the old transmission with another 3speed in the case of mine. If the Humvee (1097A1, 1123,1114, 1151s) were rebuilt and alot of them were. They would get a new 4speed. Only exception was the SF Gunvees which started out as 1025s or 1097s and were totally rebuilt with new engines, trans, upgraded suspension and and armor.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks