• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diesel Engine Cooling Liquids ?

JohnnyBM931A2

You have to run diesel-specific antifreeze with the proper additives. Otherwise you risk premature engine failure, etc. Please do a search using the search function here to find more info on coolant. If you want, you can also send me a personal message.. I think I still have a partial bottle of coolant somewhere, and I can tell you exactly what coolant I used when I did mine (bought it from NAPA.) As far as hoses are concerned, if you need to replace some I would go with silicone hoses. They will last longer.

Also.. When you replace the coolant, be prepared to do a lot of flushing. The coolant in my overflow tank looked flawless, but when I actually started to drain it the coolant looked like rusty chocolate milk. My A2 takes 11 gallons of coolant, but in the end I had 54 gallons of coolant/water mix left over because I had to flush it so many times. I now have to find a place to dispose of it properly.

Last edited:

74M35A2

Yes, conventional heater hose is fine. Look up SCA's regarding diesel coolant. It is pertinent to wet liner engines, and degrades over time. NAPA and all heavy truck dealers will carry SCA enriched coolant. You can also get SCA enriched coolant filters if you are adding a filter. Done properly, SCA is checked and adjusted, like the pH or chlorine level in a swimming pool, for example. The NAPA and Cummins stuff is red in color. Traditional green would be OK for short time if it was at risk of freezing and you just needed to get by, but I don't think that is your case if the truck is in GA with you. It is obviously less cost to buy full concentrate and then add your own water. Cascade mixed with hot water is a fabulous flush for nearly zero cost if you are flushing. Watch where you drain it, it can stain the concrete with what it pulls out of the system.

Shirehorse

I switch all the military vehicles I work on over to Rotella ELC coolant. It has excellent corrosion inhibiton properties. Also, add a coolant filter.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stay away from the red/orange elc stuff, it will, in time eat, make soft, attack rubber parts in the system, on the 855, mostly the water rail components and the radiator tank gaskets, depending on how old they are. You need a low silicate coolant, SCA is an option, if it is not in the coolant, it can be added for conventional green/yellow coolant. ELC coolants don't like to mix with other types, it will turn the coolant thick and black. Fleetguard or Fleetrite, Cummins and Navistar brands are ELC types but they WILL mix with all antifreeze. Don't know about the CAT stuff, but I hear it is the same as red/orange and will not mix, but that is hearsay.

74M35A2

Stay away from the red/orange elc stuff, it will, in time eat, make soft, attack rubber parts in the system, on the 855, mostly the water rail components and the radiator tank gaskets, depending on how old they are. You need a low silicate coolant, SCA is an option, if it is not in the coolant, it can be added for conventional green/yellow coolant. ELC coolants don't like to mix with other types, it will turn the coolant thick and black. Fleetguard or Fleetrite, Cummins and Navistar brands are ELC types but they WILL mix with all antifreeze. Don't know about the CAT stuff, but I hear it is the same as red/orange and will not mix, but that is hearsay.

Will, I think the Cummins Fleetguard coolant is red. Are you saying not to buy this? I'm slightly confused. Is this similar to the GM Dex-Cool sludge up situation?

Postman515

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use Cummins Fleetguard Es compleat with a 4sca coolant filter per cummins recommendations. Coolant filter kits coming soon for the Cummins nhc250 and 8.3L.
image.jpg

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will, I think the Cummins Fleetguard coolant is red. Are you saying not to buy this? I'm slightly confused. Is this similar to the GM Dex-Cool sludge up situation?
Nope, it is blue and mixes with everything. DexCool is bad stuff. The stat seals on my duramax were like goo when I changed them. FG went back in. If you can find it, use Fleetguard. I am still using it daily for repairs to top off systems filled with all other ELC stuff.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks