• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diesel Fuel Lubricant

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We lost power yesterday for about 6 hours. Of course we had company over and it was hot and we needed the air conditioning. The MEP003A came to the rescue again. My fuel tank was close to empty, so when I filled it back up, I added Opti-Lube XPD fuel lubricant to the tank at a rate of .25 FL OZ / gallon of diesel fuel, which is the recommended ratio for summer. I'm a firm believer in using Opti-Lube XPD and have been using it for a while now in all of my diesel engines, not just the genset.

Standard Treatment Rate: 1 to 512 minimum (.25oz per gallon of fuel)
Premium Treatment Rate (cold weather): 1 to 256 (.5oz per gallon of fuel)

Attachments

Bmxenbrett

I use the cheap superTech (walmart) 2 stroke oil. About 1oz per gallon. I mostly just use it in diesel every other tank full or full time in kerosene.

Your in Georga i wouldnt think it would get cold enough for long enough to bother doing anything different.

About 10* disesel needs to have anti gel or some kerosene mixed in...at least the stuff i get here in NY.

csheath

I use Stanadyne lubricity formula. Don't know that it's any better or worse than any other products. I also add Killum biocide.

tobyS

This is interesting and timely. I had about 15 gallons in the M35A3 tank when I was about to take it off and I drained it into buckets. It was a yellowish color, more than normal fresh diesel I get and it seemed thicker. Since I had it all over me, I noticed it felt like it had more lubricity than normal diesel. I figured it was old and expected that I could not use it.

But the tractor was about out and I decided to try some, putting about two gallons into the tractor on top of about 2 gallons left. I expected to see some smoke, but didn't. So I put in about 5 gallons and have noticed the engine is a bit quieter and that it is not putting a bit of smoke out. In fact the engine sounds a LOT quieter (3 cylinder New Holland) now, like when I have fresh new oil.

I hate to go back to regular diesel fuel now. I want the same lubricity and was considering putting in a motor oil or additive.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess if your just looking for lubricity then two stroke. Looking for cetane booster, fuel system cleaner and stablizer then we just pay more for the product that was designed to do that job. If you believe what we read then Opti lube is higher then two stroke for lubricity.

m32825

Is there any problem using Opti-Lube XPD in fuel for equipment that's designed to run on ultra low sulfur diesel? Is it a waste of money?

-- Carl

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any problem using Opti-Lube XPD in fuel for equipment that's designed to run on ultra low sulfur diesel? Is it a waste of money?
-- Carl
There isn't any problem using it on engines designed for ultra low sulfur fuel. It would still be good for the engine, just not needed as much in my opinion.