• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

differential gaskets

jag7720

I am going to change the fluid in the front and rear diffs in my M1009...

Do I need to ask for something special when buying the dif cover gaskets? 1ton vs 1/2 ton etc?

realm

Ditto... I used the red sealant stuff which worked fine. No gasket needed.
Buy at Autozone, apply to diff and cover surrounding the holes completely, let sit for a few minutes, then put the cover on and tighten down letting the red sealant ooze out.

Black is better to use though as it looks better, I just happen to have extra red and used that. I use an exacto knife to cutoff the excess that pours out though.

2mtrucks

I went to napa and purchased front and rear gaskets for about $6.50 each. Had to order them. I have better luck with them than sealant but that could be a reflection on my mechanical skills.

jag7720

I had the red RTV in the tool box but opted to get the black.

It is all done. The rear looked like someone used elmer's glue for a gasket and the front had a very solid (original maybe) gasket.

Strange... both the front and rear lube had bubbles and looked like there might have been some moister in there. Well, I am good to go now. On to the water pump, crossover tube (when it arrives), transmission rebuild, hmmm what else can a guy do to prep an M1009 for hard times (maybe I'll start a new thread)????

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks