• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Disaster truck help needed

CanadianAR

I am finishing a job for a local guy, He bought this truck from a notoriously bad importer. It came off the trailer all messed up. Alt bracket broke off the head, and several other issues.

I’ve got it back ready to start. But his batteries were dead.
Anyways, my hmmwv is old, 60a alt, V belt , so much simpler, I wanted that. Haha

So, it’s a 195500 SN. It is 4 speed.

The alternator says it’s a 200a, it has two harnesses some out of it, and two studs. Large and small. But the control box only has a connector for one of the plugs.

I have a big 1/0(?) wire tagged with red boot to the alt. Fits on the large stud. The ground strap from water manifold goes to the smaller stud. There is another cable perhaps 4 gauge, that was never hooked up when he got the truck.
Routed along with the big read cable. But if you try to hook it up it arcs.

The regulator is missing a connection, but has two small studs hooked up and run into the main harness.

I suspect the regulator is wrong at minimum. Should accept both plugs I would expect, and probably supplies a lesser voltage in one cable?
One plug that is connected is 4 pin, one not used is 3 pin.

The trans light is on, and the Wait to Start light flashes like 15 times then goes out.

Photo of how he got it.

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You also really should download the TMs and read the schematics, just guessing as you go is a good way to spend allot more money.
That large "red" wire goes to the 28V output terminal on the alt itself.
It is perfectly normal for the trans light to be on when the engine is not running but the run switch is on.

CanadianAR

I will try to get the data off the alternator. Thank you, I assume that the smaller cable will end up on the dual voltage regulator.
Sources for that part?

Good news on the trans light at least.

I have a lot of the TMs, but it doesnt necessarily answer questions when the wrong parts are installed.

CanadianAR

Yes he took photos when he got the truck so I could see the red cables location. I was called in when he failed to extract the Broken alt mount bolts and it needed a cylinder head.

Replaced the head and everything but the final steps are items I didn't take apart, and suspected incorrect parts.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes he took photos when he got the truck so I could see the red cables location. I was called in when he failed to extract the Broken alt mount bolts and it needed a cylinder head.

Replaced the head and everything but the final steps are items I didn't take apart, and suspected incorrect parts.
Feel free to PM me.