• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Disc brake conversion M101A2

Texas Manny

Hi Y'all,

Just a quick question: Has anyone done a disc brake conversion on the axle of the M101A2? I know that drums are good, but disc brakes are usually better. Just putting a feeler out there.

Thanks,

Manny

Nonotagain

Hi Y'all,

Just a quick question: Has anyone done a disc brake conversion on the axle of the M101A2? I know that drums are good, but disc brakes are usually better. Just putting a feeler out there.

Thanks,

Manny
It's not cost effective to change over to disc brakes using the M101a2 or a3 axles.

You would also need to change the master cylinder as the stroke of the factory cylinder is not great enough to work for disc brakes.

If you are insistant in changing to disc brakes, purchase an after market 8000 lb axle, disc brake master cylinder and disc brake kit (rotors and calipers).

You are still looking at close to $750-800 to make the change over, not cost effective for a trailer that probably sold for less than $600.

coyotegray

I have an a1 that I would like brakes on. I have thought about electric brakes but I have not been able to find an axle heavy duty enough that was short enough. I could also change over to chev 3/4 ton wheels...

Andy..

Texas Manny

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses. No, I'm not dead set on converting. I was simply putting a feeler out there to see if it was feasible. I think I will stick with the stock set up. The trailer is being used for camping excursions, or for when I go down to the Texas coast for the week/weekend. The drums will work out just fine. I happy to report that the tires on the trailer are 16.5" 8 lug, so I was fortunate enough that I can work with rims and tires to help it match my 83 K10.

My intent is to clean up and paint the trailer to match my truck. I also would like to redo all the wood, varnished and make it look a lil jazzy. It will have a new outlook on life as a civilian trailer.

Thanks so much for all your thoughts and suggestions.

Manny