• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Distributor capacitor (radio noise filter) failed after pertronix pointless ignition install

vforge

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently decided to switch my M38A1’s distributor to pointless ignition with a pertronix kit. I got the kit in and it ran better than ever. I took it for a quick drive and made it 200 yards before it cut out. It wouldn’t restart at all. After a lot of troubleshooting I found the distributor capacitor wasn’t providing power to the coil. I bypassed it with a wire and it started up and I was able to get it back in my garage.

Now it could be purely coincidental but has anyone had something similar happen? Or know why it failed?

I’m likely going to cannibalize the old one and eliminate the capacitor entirely.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Poor thing is probably 70 years old. It was tired of capacitatin'. Only drawback of not having it is possible popping in your AM radio reception.