• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DN2M, LPW2 and MEP-802a questions

cscott719

Hello all,

I picked up a DN2M engine a couple of weeks ago pretty cheap. The engine appears to have been rebuilt by Lister Petter (fresh rebuild sticker on it) and put on a shelf for who knows how long. It has never been ran since the rebuild and testing, as far as I can tell. The intake and exhaust manifolds were taped shut, and there is no evidence of water in them.

I think I am going to use this engine to run a 7.5KW 2 bearing generator head, either by direct drive or belt, depending on what I can come up with. I have a coupling that will allow for slight misalignment in the junk pile, and good friend that owns a machine shop. So direct drive will be my first choice. Can this engine hold a 10 KW head at full load at 1800 RPM? I know the Army de-rates their equipment, and spec sheets on the LPW2 show that it "might" be able to hold a full load, but will easily hold a 7.5 KW head without any stress. Any thoughts on this? My altitude is about 5400 feet now, but the primary use for this generator will be on some land that is under 1000 feet altitude.

My questions are regarding what is actually missing on this engine. Some things are obvious, such as an injector pipe, flywheel, starter, alternator, cooling system, mufflers, filters, etc. Zarathustra on this forum has been kind enough to offer some of these parts, which I really appreciate.

My main concern, mostly because I have not worked with diesel engines much, is what else is missing that I don't know about? How are some things connected? There are some photos below.

2014-11-22 17.12.58a.jpg

On the right is a filter. Is that also a water separator? The steel pipe coming off the filter has two rubber hoses running to injector pumps, is this correct? At the left end of that pipe is a nipple. Is this where a fuel return line will attach? To the right of the filter, are there more filters that are supposed to be there?

Will I need a primary fuel pump to move fuel from the tank through the filter(s), or will the injector pumps pull what they need? If a primary is required, what would the GPM and pressure need to be?

The next question has to do with what the big bracket on the side is supposed to be holding? I also need verification that my suspicions are correct with regards to where the fuel shutoff solenoid attaches, and the speed control. Is there a common oil filter available from auto parts stores that will fit this? What kind of oil is best for these engines?

2014-11-22 17.13.40a.jpg

I think I will mod a radiator and electric fan from a car for cooling duties. Where would a temperature sensor be located on this engine? Since the cooling fan with be 12 volt, I will need to adapt a 12 volt alternator as well. No big deal. The starter might be an issue though. I don't have one, and I believe these were originally 24 volt starters. However, I do see 12 volt starters available for them. I think that is the direction that I want to go with it. Zarathustra mentioned in another thread that the glow plugs are 12 volt wired in series anyway, so that should not be a problem. I will just parallel them.

Are there any issues with a 2 cylinder engine holding a steady 60 Hz frequency? I have read elsewhere that the piston power strokes can make some odd frequencies due to slight speed instabilities during a crank rotation. Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Scott

Attachments

Ratch

I have an MEP-802a with this engine. It will run pretty poorly and drop frequency (down to 40hz) when I load it over 5kw. I think my load came out to 5.5kw when it was losing steam.
Unless there's some reason the engine is not able to power through overloading when configured as a mep unit, I wouldn't invest a lot of effort in using it as a 7.5kw Gen engine. It will probably happily run that head up to 5kw, but I and others have found it doesn't have much tolerance for more. It does what it was designed to do, though.

Ratch

Btw, the canister is a fuel filter, but not water separator, you'll have to add one before the filter.

edit: if you copied that cross reference I just posted or it was emailed to you, toss it, I grabbed the wrong list. I misplaced my data for that engine.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks