• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do I have a bad starter?

Mtrdrms

Well I was all pumped up becuase I just got my truck running and I was looking forward to a nice drive this morning but when I went out to start it, it cranked for about 10 seconds and wouldnt start. No fuel again. Anyway I let the starter cool for a minute and tried it again and nothing. I have all the lights in the dash and the batteries are charged but all I get is a click from under the dash. From prior experience with gas engines I am leaning toward the starter or solenoid. My question is what else could it be and how do I test a 24v starter?

Andy

badgmc56

Do you have a multimeter? If so see if there is battery voltage to large wire on the starter. If that is good then have someone turn the ignition to the start position and see if you have voltage to the S terminal on the starter solenoid. If all this is good then you probably have a bad starter. You can also try tapping on the stater housing gently to jar the armature. Of course you have to have strong batterys first before you try these tests. Bob C.

papercu

Have you read your TM 9-2320-289-10 or -20 yet? It covers events just like this, you will have to remember you are the Assistant and/or the Supervisor. Wayne

KaiserM109

Don't spend any money until you have cleaned ALL of your connectors. This means:
1) All 4 battery connectors
2) All cable connectors from the battery to the relay and to the starter
3) The ground strap connecting the power train to the frame; I believe on a deuce it is on one of the engine mounts.
4) Check to see if the starter mounting bolts are loose because that is also part of the circuit.
5) Check the fluid level in the batteries.

These are things that you should do anyway.

The starter is by far the highest drain on the system. Many times other things will work with marginal battery connections because they don't draw enough current to drop the voltage below acceptable levels.

If all this fails, start with badgmc56’s advice. Also measure the voltage across both batteries while someone else hits the starter button. On each of 4 measure the voltage between the battery post and the connector itself. If the connection is good there should be no voltage measurable; if it is bad, you can measure several volts.

WPNS421

Ditto on checking all cables. This week got into my 2006 International 5 ton and all I got was a click click. Starter was dead, reason?????:wink::roll:

ida34

Most of the times a click under the dash and no start is the troublesome cucv starter relay. If is mounted under the dash with a couple of other relays. It is an AC-40 if I remember correctly. Sometimes it sticks open and will crank the truck even though the key switch is off. I have had it happen. This relay takes the 12 volt impulse from the ignition switch and passes on 24 volts to the starter solenoid on top of the starter. I would check this first. Make sure it has 24 volts coming in then make sure that 12 volts is showing up when the ignition switch is in the start position. At the same time look for 24 volts coming out of the starter side of the relay.

Mtrdrms

Well it tested bad so I had it rebuilt. I was getting voltage to the starter and solenoid but the starter wasnt doing anything so it definatly needed to be rebuilt. Now it turns over like a champ! However my glowplug system died. Always something.

Andy