• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do I have a "D" turbo or a "C" turbo?

houdel

My truck data plate states my engine is a LDT465-1D. I assume that means I have a "D" turbo. However, it does have a very noticeable whistle. (Don't mind the slight oil drip in the engine plate photo, I power washed it after taking the picture).

Over the weekend, someone posted a photo of a "D" turbo and the exhaust section looked a lot fatter than mine (I think the thread got lost in the server crash). I've attached some photos of my turbo. Can anyone tell from the photos if it is a "C" or "D" turbo? The last pic is some numbers cast into the intake side, I had hoped it would be a part number but instead is a date (8/22/83).

Attachments

houdel

I just LOVE that turbo whistle! if you look real closely at my exhaust stack in the first picture of my posting http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=6546, you can see a slight discoloration of the stack and three barely noticeable fasteners just above the joint between the J pipe and exhaust stack.

I have an internal race car collector insert mounted within the stack to tame the exhaust stack noise (without much reduction in the turbo whistle). I'm figuiring it gives me a 5-7 dBa noise reduction from the stack. Once I get some instrumention installed (EGT, Boost Pressure and back pressure gauuges) I'll list another post wih some hard numbers.

I'd like to reduce the exhaust noise 10-20 dBa, but I need to get the instrumention installed to make sure I'm not screwing my performance! Keep tuned for more data with hard numbers to see what I get. If the insert doesn't get me to where I want to be, next step is an Edelbrock 4" ID x 9" OD chambered high performance muffler. Gotta get that exhaust down to about 80 dBA, then work on cabin insulation to reduce the background mechanical noise for a reasonable quiet ride, I.E. be able to converse without shouting in the cab!

Lax

Recovry4x4<
Thank you very much. Can you tell me anything about it? I was kind of hoping for a whistler when I bought the truck because I like the sound. No bid deal though. As long as it works forever I'm happy! Thanks again.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
D turbos are regrded as being worthy of a tad more boost. The deeper throaty sound is preferred by many. Either will do you just fine and those who prefer the D tubo will tell you that the C sound can get irritating.

Lax

Recovry4x4,
Thanks for all your help. Like I said, as long as it works every time the way it was designed to I'm happy. :wink:

Houdel,
Sorry for jumping in on your post. I hope it is okay. Thank you.

houdel

Mike - Nothing to compare it to, there are no others in my area. Dave Allen is the closest, about 1-1/2 hours away, the one time I went to his shop he wasn't around. I assumed from the LDT465-1D on the engine plate that it was a "D" turbo (which is also what the mechanic at Selfrige ANG base, where I got it, told me). Glad it is a "C" turbo, I just LOVE that sound!

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
OK, I swapped my D turbo out yesterday for a C turbo but didnt do a test drive until just now and the butt dyno results are in. The D spools up quicker and gives the truck a better power band. There is a definate difference in power but nothing drastic. With my D turbo I was getting 15 lbs of boost earlier on, with the C, I am getting 13 lbs of boost and you really have to wind the motor out to get those numbers. With that said , I am still glad I did it since these things arent made for acceleration. When I had the turbos set side by side, I could see the C compressor wheel had a different design and I think I remember counting 1 less turbine blade on the C turbo. I already have my D sealed up for storage so I cant go back and count but I remember one had 12 blades and I think the other had 11 unless I miscounted.

dmetalmiki

Just read all these comments..as I HAVE THREE spare turbos..2(two) HAVE clamps AND thinner "snails" AND DONT MAKE A SOUND!!! quiet as u like! THE one remailning one LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME "small sails" CLAMP...whistles AND shreiks like a beuty! MY 5 ton has BIG SNAILS (and) BOLTS again..NO WHISTLE till U start pulling..THEN it whistles!!!??? so...I remaim TOTALLY PUZZLED still.. and dont think there IS A DEFINING WAY to tell a whistler from a NON whistler...ERRRRRR..CEPT MY deuce (which screams like a banshee and whistles great!!) HAS A TAG ON IT STAMPED C1308 ..NOW THATS whaT I call a DEFINING I.D. good luck all those seeking the differences..IF it HAS "C" on the tag...your IN. (else its try it and see!!)

alphadeltaromeo

I don't notice the whistle on my D turbo if I'm not wearing ear protection, but I can notice it if I have hearing protection (either plugs or the full covering) during the shifting and then when I take my foot off the "go button".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks