• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do I need a permit to drive my M923 home?

zout

jvanhorn83 - welcome to the site.
My post was not a smart as* post - it was to help you in your situation only to know and find out for yourself from the LEO-DOT DMV exactly what you require.

Having seen folks try to slip by - falsify information to the authorities and to their insurance companies - its just best to find out locally and State what you require from those departments.
From there its great you joined SS and trying to look out for your best interest is only in mind - as well as your safety and the travel of your new MV to home from GL - safe is good.

Post some pics up of your new ride when you get a chance please - be nice to see what you got.

MtnSnow

I had my truck hauled home from Fontana 3 weeks ago as it was easier in the long run for me even though the hauling fees cost more than what I could have driven it for.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Uhhh ooo, I thought insurance and registration for a current vehicle is what I thought people meant.. Im from oregon and am leaving to pick a truck up in Fontana. Oregon the laws are much more lenient, Will GL let you leave without insurance on that particular truck?
Gl will probably let you drive it off the lot but what are you going to do then ? California requires insurance and a permit to drive on their roadways. Oregon laws apply in Oregon not California . Your best bet is have it towed off and find storage till you get a plan proper paperwork or have it hauled.

jvanhorn83

Again thanks for all the help everyone. Came over from the Performance Boat forums and very few people are friendly there. This is a nice change

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds good to me!

Keep us updated.

While you wait for it, read the -10 TM. That's the basic operators manual.

Ask what you don't understand and we'll all help as much as possible.

KaiserM109

Welcome to the madness!

Read the -10 operator's manual and try to digest as much as your brain will hold from the 5 ton forum :)

We will also need pics asap !!! :)
In December I drove a truck from Texas to Colorado, including the state of Oklahoma or New Mexico if the weather had been different. ALL of them said proof of insurance was okay.

About reading manuals YES, YES. An M923 is different from any car or pickup or smaller MV you might have driven. Make sure you have a cell phone and you should have a laptop and someway, like a phone hotspot, to get it on the internet way out in the boondocks. Also copy all the TMs to your laptop and, if you can, print the operator’s manual. My M923A1 threw a water pump belt in Jackson, MS and the TMs on disk saved me; I would have never figured out how to tighten the water pump belt.

A good link to follow is: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?112491-M939-Series-Videos&highlight=video

Have a good and safe trip.

quickfarms

To legally drive the truck you need a trip permit from each state with the vin listed, a insurance card for the truck and at least a class B CDL. You need the CDL because the assumption is the vehicle is commercial until you register it in your state as non commercial.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, since the CDL is a federally mandated entity - I'd say yes. However, there is a big difference when talking about the WHO that is stopping you. Local Sherrif; not so much , DoT trained Trooper; abso-flamin-lutely.
CA law goes way above and beyond what the feds require. According to federal law, you can drive a 5-ton for personal use without a CDL. I dare say AZ laws are much more lenient than CA when it comes to CDL.

3dAngus

All folks need call your insurance company prior to pickup. Some companies will automatically insure you for most any vehicle giving you a 30 day grace period, PROVIDED, your primary driving vehicle in your household is fully insured in your name. And if you call them and set it up, they can email you a paper covering you with State LEO's inspection, showing you are covered once you provide that insurance company with serial number, make, and model of the truck.

You need do this to drive on base, and drive through any state.

snowtrac nome

mine was a cinch in Washington so many mil vehicles running around nobody will stop you. I did however pick up a temp registration the next day good for a week. which kept Johnny law off my back. I will have plates for it when I go down next month to move it to the barge.

Jericho

Wow. I guess I am lucky, I think I will have to stay out of the state of California. The CDL is a FED requirement, if your under 26 k NO CDL required, Insurance is a state requirement, NH has no insurance required, one can simply post a bond and drive anything. Reciprocity is federal law on the road ways, IF PASSING thru a bordering state you have only to meet the registration / inspection and licensing requirements of YOUR HOME OF RESIDENCE STATE , over night stay is permitted if the journey time exceeds the driving distance to exit the state you are passing thru. Now be over 26 and watch out. Weigh scales are NOT required in NH if you are under 26k and privately registered nor is a DOOR number for commercial use , if you are private and not hauling for profit. IN Vermont you can drive a truck as a farm truck with nothing but a orange triangle, IN LA logging trucks don't even require doors ! What a different set of rules state to state, Real eye opener. Think ill keep my trucks registered in NH or Alaska !

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow. I guess I am lucky, I think I will have to stay out of the state of California. The CDL is a FED requirement, if your under 26 k NO CDL required, Insurance is a state requirement, NH has no insurance required, one can simply post a bond and drive anything. Reciprocity is federal law on the road ways, IF PASSING thru a bordering state you have only to meet the registration / inspection and licensing requirements of YOUR HOME OF RESIDENCE STATE , over night stay is permitted if the journey time exceeds the driving distance to exit the state you are passing thru. Now be over 26 and watch out. Weigh scales are NOT required in NH if you are under 26k and privately registered nor is a DOOR number for commercial use , if you are private and not hauling for profit. IN Vermont you can drive a truck as a farm truck with nothing but a orange triangle, IN LA logging trucks don't even require doors ! What a different set of rules state to state, Real eye opener. Think ill keep my trucks registered in NH or Alaska !
What about AIR BRAKES! I get the weight issue, but doesn't the fact it has air brakes throw you into the CDL class anyway? Like everyone says, check with your DMV and Ins company for your state, If you follow your rules, I do not believe and I've never seen another state mess with that! Like one guy said most law enforcement people don't mess with Green, but because of Murphy's Law, do it right, or ship it! Wouldn't want to lose it before you even get it home, or worst case get hurt or hurt someone and have to deal with that! Number one rule, better safe then sorry!

Csm Davis

What a bunch of jailhouse lawyers! I have lived in Ca, worked for and with GL, GP, and I am a MP, and civilian LEO.
Half of all of what is above is wrong, God love you Ga boys.
All states have reciprocation laws that state what is legal in your home state that you have you driver's license from is to be honoredby a state you are passing through. This means talk to a lawyer and do lots of reading of you states laws and print out any laws that cover what you are doing, ie driving a 5 ton on regular drivers license, make sure you have the complete section that covers you and keep it in your truck. It is also a good idea to print out the states that you are going through each of their reciprocation laws so when you get a Barney Fife that doesn't know his state has such laws you can politely show him and possibly ask him for a supervisor at that point. As to a permit to remove a gross polluting machine such as a five ton from Ca they will give you one but may require you to have a CDL driver because the vehicles trip begins in Ca. This would be a case for lawyers to fight over not you and CDOT.
As to insurance and driving off the base, to get off base you must be driving on the base for some amount of time which requires insurance on the vehicle. This true off every base, they might not ask at the gate and it is not up to GL, or GP, but is required.
What I have listed above is not guessing but if you want to stay 100% legal ask a lawyer and pay him even if it's just a dollar and get a receipt.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jericho

I have not seen anything that drives a CDL based on air brakes, The CDL requirements are on the internet. There is an air brake "cert" but I don't read it as the driver for a CDL rather as a cert needed if your CDL required truck has air brakes, not all do. I dare say all states D/L requirements are on line, If little New Hampshire can do ! ( CDL is EASY ) mifght seem uneeded for personal use , but may save a lot of CRA$ , Might even learn something. Sems to me Cali should worry more about DAMS and less about diesel trucks, maybe regionalized depots and train transportation between, Simple and effective. Keep in mind if you have just left the military , within a year in most states, and have a MIL license stamped for 5 ton, you can get a CDL with no exam and a simple road test. yup even in little NH lol

snowtrac nome

if the truck doesn't exceed 21.5 and has air brakes a cdl with air endorsement is required for commercial use in most states but usually private carriers for non commercial use and motorhomes are exempt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks