• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do I need to winterize?

edpdx

My m1009 starts ok so far in the cold. We have only had one or two days dip below freezing so far. Is there any reason I should get a canvas grill cover?

What hols them on?

Matt65

I would verify the anti-freeze to water % in the radiator. Mine was on the weak side with the freezing point at 5F. Granted, it rarely gets colder than that here I wanted a little more protection from the winter air.

topgun217

I haven't done anything special to mine in two winters here in northern Ohio except maybe a bit stronger than 50/50 blend in the rad. I do go out and start her up twice a week when its gets 10' or colder just to keep the batts. up. A few miles around the block doesn't hurt especially if its not your daily driver.

Disciple

Well, we here in Minnesota just had one of our worst blizzards in recent history. My neighborhood got 20" of snow. Yesterday I used my bone-stock M1008 to pull over 30 people out that were stuck, including other 4x4 Full-size trucks that were stuck. I had to pull one truck for 3 blocks before he could get enough traction. It got below 0 degrees last night, was right around 1 degree this morning when I went to start up "the beast". I let the plugs glow a little longer than I usually do, almost started on the first try. Finally got her going on the third try, but I think it was my fault the second time, could have done it then. So.... I don't do anything special to mine and it seems to start just fine after sitting outside all night in negative temps. I do have newer GP's, batts, and a new starter though. I'm sure that all helps. I have not checked my coolant. Should probably do that soon.

WARWAG

I watched as people spun out in front of my hotel here in Minneapolis. Flight cancelled due to weather. I think a M1009 would be nice to have here in this weather.

I purchased a set of battery warmers to keep my batteries warm. This really keeps the Cold Cranking Amps up during the coldest of winter nights. A block heater is a must to keep your engine alive and well. A Oil Pan heater would also help speed up the starting process and lubricate the engine better than thick cold oil.

Good luck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks