• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do we have a informative m35 generator thread?

ODdave

Ok today after trying to slave another truck my deuce fried not 1 but 2 generators..... WTF happened?

Do we have a GOOD thread on repairing the gen's? If not cant the well educated folks of SS help to assemble one? I am quite irritated and would like to figure out what is happening.

Yes I used the search but every thread with the word deuce and generator came up.......

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you want to figure out why they went bad, or just repair them?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a TM in PDF. I suppose I should submit it for the TM section :rolleyes:

I also have a vid somewhere, maybe buried in the PC.

ODdave

I would like to know why they went bad as well as repair them. I figured I whould find the prob while repairing. I have slaved with the truck running many times with out a problem. Last year I was having charging problems with the truck and assumed today the gem finally took a crap. But when it roached the second one, well you know how that goes.

Where these mill spec only or a civy unit as well?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Military only.

I am guessing you have a bad battery cable and or connection.

They go full output when they do not sence a load.

Most likely you just need to replace the rear cover/regulator unit. There is a resistor(iirc) in there that explodes.

Erik's has them.

ODdave

Dose anyone happen to know the spec for the resistor?

I pulled the rear cover and didnt notice any "magic smoke smells" but I am shure that is where the problem lies.

Thanks DH.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I recall it being an aluminum extrusion(heatsink) and yellow. I don't recall the specs. And I'm not sure other damage does not happen, when it fails. If that's your problem.

Does your alt have a ground cable?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never slave and crank with the engine running. I usually hook up the slave cable and let the engine run for a while, charging the batteries some. I then turn off the engine and crank the second truck. Never any problems doing it that way.

ODdave

Ericks shows them for the prestolite..... I have the Leese Neville....
Yes, I do have a ground cable

RLWM, As I stated before on here, the tm's will not download correctly for me and I was asking if anyone has actually REPAIRED the alt, not replaced parts. Repairing meaning a spec out of the circut board.....

Last edited:

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a place to check, look behind the battery box, there's a passthrough in the frame that is supposed to have an insulator collar where the battery cables run through the frame. Most of the trucks I've seen have had no collar or the thing rubbed through. If the B+ cable shorts out to the frame or through the ground cable insulation, it will cause problems.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good point Will. When jumping, there is a good chance the cables "jump" under the extra load. Any short and it could cause failure.

I would measure from the alt to the battery cable, the cable resistance(each cable). The alt ground goes through 2 cables and the frame(measure at the far ends).

Also, how are your slave port cables connected? Directly to your batteries or with the ground to the frame(known failure point).

Is your 'dogbone cable" tight? Are all connections clean and tight?

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One more place I've seen a problem, around the legs of the passenger seat where the slave cables are routed. One truck I saw has the B+ rubbed through on the seat frame.

emr

These trucks have been slaved so much from uncle sam it crazy, never a bulletin about any problems because it works and works fine, as for connecting them waiting a few then cranking, this is just common sense to me, but i am old now and screwed most things up already :) They are not that crappy, they have lasted for so many years of service its amazing to me, Hook em up wait and crank em, a wire is a wire, like said, if theres a problem look and touch all wires that connect what U are doing, if they are all good, well thats another issue, Are u slaving to start a deuce that has no batts in it? No one asked and I did not see if u said this or not, A deuce will fry alt if no batts in it, not the whole thing just a diod thingy, I believe. cranking while hooked up is more than fine. as long as one does not over heat starter,batt or slave connections, patience is needed when slaving,

ODdave

I was trying to slave Dave Souths Big Bird dump truck. The truck has baterys and they both had a small charge in them. I let the truck sit for about 5 min with the cables hooked up with the engine @ 1300 rpm to help charge them. I have looked the wires over before but there is a chance there could be a problem since then. If I cant get a diode/regulator for less than $150 I think I will upgrade to a much higher amp alt.