• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do you need CDL to drive a deuce in N.J.

srb450

I live in N.J. and would like to know if a CDL is needed to drive a duece? Also how bad is insurance for one?
Thanks for your time.

ems4ty

Well, a quick glance at the New Jersey CDL Manual shows the following exemption:

Exemptions to CDL Requirements
Taxi drivers, ride-sharing drivers, firefighters, First aid/
rescue squad vehicle operators, farmers hauling their
own products and equipment within 150 miles of their
farms, non-civilian operators of military equipment,
operators of limousines engaged in services related to
the mortuary sciences and operators of construction
equipment not designed for operation on public
roads are exempt and should not apply for a CDL.
Recreational vehicle operators are exempt if the
vehicle is only for personal use.

So, I guess that if you can convince the police or state troopers that its a recreational vehicle, (Such as not for hire and not carrying cargo) then I would say your not required to have a CDL.

If you lived in California on the other hand, By the book, a Commercial Class "B" CDL with Air Brake Endorsement is required for a deuce. Regardless if its historic or not.

Take a few minutes and look over your NJ CDL Manual shown HERE.

Take care,

-Tyler

joec

No you do not need a CDL FOR A DEUCE..... you can contact Condon & Skelly For Insurance. They are in Maple Shade NJ. # is 1-800-257-9496

I am 109 a year. And you go to Trenton for the the tags.

FreightTrain

Banned
how does a deuce require an airbrake endorsement when the brakes are NOT air brakes in any definition....They are air assisted.Technically the exact same system as 95% of all cars and light trucks on the road except instead of sucking the air blows.Wonder if the Air brake endorsement requirements would be upheld in court if someone fought it with that tid bid of info?

joec

A deuce is a air/hydraulic and is not 100% air brakes. You can protest that and win. The 5t trucks are the same. The only thing that get's you is GVW it's over the weight. Required for cdl. So that would be a "B" endorsement no air brakes.

ems4ty

That's California for you. In the CDL Book, it clearly states "Air over Hydraulic" is required to have an Air Brake Endorsement. BS I Know. I fought tooth and nail with the inspector person at the DMV and didn't win that battle. Not that big of a deal to get it (I Have both a Class B CDL and Air Brake Endorsement.) The inspector said, "Does the truck have an Air Pressure Gauge and a Low Air Warning Device?" I said yes, and he said, "You need the endorsement."

Gotta love Cali baby!!!

Other states have it easy.... Darn Politicians here can't get it right...

BTW - The other killer is the 3rd axle, that automatically makes you a Class B here in California at a minimum.

-Tyler

joec

That sucks...! so Cali is worse then Jersey..! But you still can use the hydraulic brakes to stop. When there is no air. Try that with air brakes..! That is what I would have told him. Yes You can stop a deuce with no air pac working. Just don't go the speed limit!

Just open the service and emergency !!!

Last edited:

Fat Jack

Amen to California being a pain in the you know what. I moved back east a year ago, to Virginia from the Bay Area. Not that much difference in the weather, cept for humidity and don't have to put up with the Commie/Libs who run the state legislature. Took me all of 10 minutes to register my Deuce in Virginia, and no CDL needed. Love it here.

Hammer

Air assist, which is NOT air OVER hydraulic, is NOT an air brake system.
Air over hydraulic is what the trailers are that you can pull with a deuce (M105A2 for instance).
In that system the air actually creates the pressure required to move the hydraulics in the brakes.
Air assist is nothing more then power brakes using air pressure rather then vacuum or hydraulic pressure for the assist.
And yes, this IS the law. I drive tow trucks with the air ASSIST, and that only requires the normal class C.

The third axle does require the class B though (doesn't have to be commercial, a non-commercial B will work).

Still a bunch of BS laws though.

LanceRobson

I wouldn't be surprised if various states have a patchwork of "what's an RV" rules but this might help.

A while back I was thinking of buying a medium duty truck (Freightliner M-Class or similar) with a sleeper to tow our 15,000 pound 36' fifth wheel camper. The FL dealer, who has converted a number of used trucks to tow vehicles, discussed registering the truck as an RV.

If I remember correctly, he said that whether a vehicle is an RV for interstate use is US DOT classification. They state that to be an RV it needs to have a lavatory, a dedicated place to sleep (can be a convertible couch etc) a way to cook etc.

As explained to me, a chemical portable toilet, microwave and bed meet the standard. He also said that the DOT limited gross weight to 54K.

He showed me a (relatively) light tractor that had a portable toilet and microwave in the sleeper and was registered as an RV.

The latest edition of the Woodalls campground directory may have the complete info in the chapter that covers the legalities of RVs and towing on a state by state basis. My coy is about 5 years old but I'd be glad to look.

An M109 or similar with the above items would classify as an RV for DOT purposes.

Lance