• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dodge M37: Door Locks?

M37outlaw

Ive done some research and couldnt find anything so maby it cant be done but is there a way to put locks on the doors of the m37. I want to be able to lock up the truck at night and have a key to get in. I have a hard top on the truck so im not worried about soneone geting in through the roof. Also is there a latch for the hood that has to be accessible from in the cab. I am trying to lock up the truck asmuch as i can. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

John Mc

Vintage Power Wagons sells a locking door handle that will fit an M37 (VPW refers to the M37 as a "type E" vehicle in their catalog).
The link is to the "Group18: Body" section of their online catalog. Scroll down a few pages (to the page numbered 85), and look near the upper right of that page. It's VPW part # CC1279436-L

Last edited:

SturmTyger380

Long ago and reprinted in the Dodge M37 Restoration Guide, (An over priced soft bound book if you can find one), was an article by Daniel Pinkham.

He describes using a hardware store lever garage door handle with a key lock in it. The garage handle has a square tang. The tang is too long but can be cut down to match the square tang of the M37 handle. The flange of the garage door handle had exactly the same screw holes 1 1/2 on center.

So once the tang is cut down it was a screw in replacement for the stock M37 door lever assembly. That being said I don't know how the modern garage door lever locks compare now that everything is made in China. But it might be something to look into.

Hank Dodge

As long as I've owned my M37, I've always just locked / unlocked it by reaching in to the inside door handle through an unlatched driver side windshield pane. Most folks wouldn't think of folding the window out to access the cab....

Travlr

As long as I've owned my M37, I've always just locked / unlocked it by reaching in to the inside door handle through an unlatched driver side windshield pane. Most folks wouldn't think of folding the window out to access the cab....
Does the door lock from the inside? How does that work?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks