• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does anyone have any good resources for the history of a MV?

CCATLETT1984

I am looking for info on how to go about researching the history of the cucv I have. It still has the bumper numbers on it, I know that the mean something on a duece, but am not sure if its the same on the smaller trucks. (14163) is the number stenciled onto the tailgate of the truck.

mudguppy

bumper numbers are how a vehicle is identified, regardless if it's a cucv, deuce, M1 abrams, or Apache. if it was a unit vehicle, it would have some unit designation on it. since it doesn't, it's possible that it could have been a civilian contractor or DOD truck for an organization like DRMO or DOL. they STILL have cucv's and the like running around on ft. stewart - for the DOL employees.

probably the only way you could get the history/maintenance records would be to go back to where it came from and find out where they maintained those vehicles. there is usually a motorpool even for the civilian vehicles. they're not as good about keeping maintenance records for their own vehicles, but they might have something.

sorry, i just gave you a lot of "ifs"...... :roll:

mudguppy

it would be on the bumper. i'll give you an example: my HMMWV was M10, and i was in the 632nd Maint Co. on the left side of the bumper were the parent units and on the right was the unit and number, kinda like this:

of course, every installation has different standards, but from what i've seen, they're all pretty close. there's always some sort of unit designation (3 ID, 1 CAV, 3-3 AD, etc) on the bumper number so you know who's unit that vehicle belonged to.

that's why i say a lack of unit designation may mean it last belonged to a civilian or dod contractor. usually i only see a number (or nothing) on the bumper on dod vehicles, but sometimes it'd say DOL or DRMO or something. just a thought. :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks