• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does anyone know what im looking at?

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks to have a Detroit Diesel 3-53 engine, very reliable.

Also looks to have the controls modified with a digital display, so who knows?

I wish you were closer, I'd love to own that one.

Dennis

jmenende

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Dennis
Unfortunately alot of the original equipment has been taken off. Governor and volt reg are after market. Im looking for the original manual to see if i can make it original again.

Guyfang

Staff member
Looks to have a Detroit Diesel 3-53 engine, very reliable. Correct.

It looks very much like a gen set that came out before the MEP program came about. Its a set from the mid 50's to late 60's It LOOKS like a Stewart and Stevens model 52300. What is the AC meter and Freq meter range? The 52300 was a 400 hertz model. BUT the army also bought the same basic set, in 60 hertz. I can not remember what the model number is. I may have two of the TM's for the 52300 set, but there are 3-4 more that are not to be had. I have tried for years to find them. Yes, it has been gutted. Lots on it non standard. It would be VERY hard to return this set to original build. If you tell me you want some more info, I can try and find some. But its a long shot, at best.

Attachments

jmenende

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks just like a Stewart and Stevenson 52300 as you guys suggested. Found this link with some pics and manuals.

Now I have to dig in. Apparently it runs but will not generate power. It has a convenience outlet so its not a 400hz unit. Lots of cut connections so im going to leave it in the back burner for now. I still have 2 005a that need attention and hurricane season is already here.

thanks for the help guys.

jmenende

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Dennis
Im guessing a grand to get it to you in AZ from PR.

Guyfang

Staff member
It looks just like a Stewart and Stevenson 52300 as you guys suggested. Found this link with some pics and manuals.

Now I have to dig in. Apparently it runs but will not generate power. It has a convenience outlet so its not a 400hz unit. Lots of cut connections so im going to leave it in the back burner for now. I still have 2 005a that need attention and hurricane season is already here.

thanks for the help guys.
Thats where I got the two TM's, Radionerds. The -34 TM is too big to up load in this thread.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Not sure where the magic line is for uploads Guy. I used Acrobat to reduce the size to about half and it is still too large.

REALLY neat site @ RadioNerds.
I guess Steward & Stevenson got into the military supply business with power generation before they got into the truck market...

Guyfang

Staff member
Indeed. S&S have been around a LONG time. I loved the 52300. I hated the Electro/Hyd governor system. The Selenium Rectifier in the DC charging system was also a problem. Failed often, and when it did, it was a health problem. smells like rotten eggs, and is poisonous. This picture is NOT a representation of the one on the gen set. The one on the set weighed about 5-6 pounds, and you could have beat a rhino to death with it.

1623874148115.png

The DC charging system regulator, was another trouble spot, It was, I was told, the same as what was installed in the M113 track. High failure rate. Could be adjusted through a small hole in the top, with a tiny screwdriver.

1623874682651.png
The AC Volt Regulator was also a part that was good to have several on hand. It used 4 small glass tubes, that we always kept in a drawer. If new tubes did not help the AC reg problem, then the whole thing went into the trash.

The rest of the set was very solid.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks