• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does your deuce smoke at all at idle?

I took my m35a2 through inspection today, sat in the inspection lane about 30-45 minutes idling. Inspection manager caem out just i was the next car in lane and told me they were only going to test my brakes because i had visible smoke at idle. I actually got out and looked at it, and its barely even visible and i had been sitting idling for so long. they told me there can be no smoke at all. Every single diesel i have owned hs always smoke a little when idling for extended period of time. i guess i will just have to take it through when he's not working or when there is no line.

Does anyone else's deuce have slightly visible smoke at idle? Actually let me ask does anyone have a truck that doesnt smoke at all at idle?

dwlynd

Yes, mine does. It also seems to smoke more when it idles for long periods. In the christmas parade I'll rev the engine every so often and it will blow smoke. It does quit if you run it at speed for a few minutes.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't let it idle. The turbo will cool and not seal as well. Also you will have more unburned fuel when cooler. Allowing black smoke. But it should smoke a little. After all it was made before emmission controls.

moriboy

Yep, mine smokes just a little at idle, and I have a brand new IP that is set to book specs by the military. Post's like this makes me thankful I live in Oregon.

Well i tried explaining it was idling, also all the stuff about it being multifuel and burning waste oil, transmission fluid etc, it was never designed to be a clean burning engine. he then explained to me he was in the military and they arent supposed to smoke. alot of them did but they werent supposed to. It was really frustrating.

Also, is there any other place the truck vin or serial number would be located? The dash plate wasnt good enough for them being its held in with screws and not rivits or whatever. this truck was tagged the past 4 months in MD, i dont understand why its such a hassle. i'll just use my MD adress and tag it there if they keep giving me trouble.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would have asked for written info to confirm his statement. I also would use straight diesel for the next inspection.

The vin number should be stamped on your frame.

Search VIN number location.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's on the frame behind the driver's front wheel.

Mine smokes.

It's old enough.

It served in the military.

Mine can if it wants to.

Last edited:
yup found the frame stamping thanks guys! The last 7 digits of my vin match whats on my frame so we are good there.

I am running all diesel in it but i mean the engines were designed to burn anything so they we built to run on multiple fuels which says to me seals, rings, valves etc had to be selected to be compatible with them all so some sealing or burning properties may have been lessened.

I think if i run it through again i should have no problem if the man isnt there. on of the lane guys got in the truck to read the plate and told me he was sorry that hes the boss, and to try again later. I could completely understand if it was smoking but really you just see the exhaust in my opinion, not smoking like when you rev it or under load or a bad head gasket or a leaking valve seal or a ring, its completely normal diesel smoke to me. its just so frustrating haha

I agree. im actually a very polite person and get along very well so i was really surprised when he singled me out in the line of cars and just started giving me trouble before i even opened my mouth.

Here is a video of it. I had only just started up maybe a minute before so the engine was cold, at the end of the video when its idling though even cold you can see it really doesnt smoke. Now revving it up is an entirely different story

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pjCMZ1rzJY&feature=youtu.be[/media]

DieselBob

I have run straight diesel in my sense I got it and at idle it has just the faintest hint of smoke. What the heck test is this for ?. I wouldn't think they emission test a 70's vehicle.

Its not a test, it was just a visual observation and he considered it 'excessive' smoke. its the faintest smoke ever too. now when i accelerate it smokes as in the video, but i believe thats normal too. that's not what he was reffering to though.

seabeeut

mine smokes very little it smoked more when I got it
but I get it out on long runs burn the crude out of it buy clean fuel
changed the air cleaner and give her some kerosene and now she barely smokes
unless I let her sit for to long.[thumbzup]

jaxsof

My last unit was on a hill, and to get back into civilization, or anywhere else for that matter, we drove down the hill, crossed a river, and went up another hill. There was a house on the uphill side that I know never had any mosquitos, as we only had non-turbo deuces. As we would pass, you would lose sight of the house through the smoke.

bill2444

i would run the wee out of it first, then set the throttle control for 1200 rpm. no ideling while waiting.
then i'm thinking that maybe running the fuel level in the tank down and adding a fair amount of gas or kero to the diesel to dilute down the ( oileyness ) of the diesel just for the test. kero would increase the btu's, burning hotter i believe. maybe some of the more learned members will have an opionin if that will help.
But i have never seen a multi that didn't smoke.