• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Doghead Rookie Mistake

PDePauw

I put the doghead relay in the other day and everything was running great. My buddy told me to put a 3 amp diode from the Purple/White wire to the Black. I thought that is easy enought so i went for it. Well, in my haste i didn't pull the battery cables and when i was dropping the metal bracket out with the relay on it one of the posts touched metal and for a split second i was spot welding. I quickly cleared the post from the metal and then whipped around to the front to undo the battery. There was a waft of light smoke over the engine and the smell of electric. I pulled the cables and hooked everything back up and it won't start now. I bought a new relay this morning and it still won't start. Could it be a fuseable link? I thought i saw a charred spot by the passenger side firewall. I have only had this for a month and we just got it going good the other day. Needless to say i wish i would have skipped the diode. If you have any ideas of where to start the trouble shooting i would appreciate it.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You toasted the fusible liink.

Read the first few pages of the TM 9-2320-289-20 or TM 9-2320-289-34 Troubleshooting section. It tells you how to read the diagrams, what the wire labels mean and how to read the wire sizes.

That the best way to learn.

I like to use some "liquid" electrical tape to cover those terminals. Helps to not short something.

When fusible links burn, sometimes the outer housing will burn thru but alot of times will not. An easy way to test the links are to give them a light tug. If they have some give in them they need to be replaced. Youtube has many videos on how to replace them.

Attachments

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I claim false advertising. I thought Doghead had made a mistake............