• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dont let this happen to you.(hoses)

jwaller

I was driving back from atlanta a week ago and smelled antifreeze. Finally got around to fixing the problem and it was a busted hose. I went ahead and replaced both of the connectors on this segment and I'm glad I did the other was ready to go.

I went to orielly's and bought a rad hose(gates# 20611) that was 2" ID and cut the pieces I needed. I'll have enough for 2 mor if I need them. I'm going to replace the rad connectors and water pump one next.

New ones installed.

now just some green paint and it's good as new.

CGarbee

I had to replace mine a couple months ago after the belts cut loose and took out the upper radiator hose. While I was at it, I redid the ones on the upper manifolds as they looked abotu as bad as the hose piece that you have pictured... Upper two little ones are somethign like 1.75" ID, the rest of them are 2" ID... Taking a page from Bjorn's book, I also plumbed in a coolent filter and did a major flush and recharge while I was at it...

I left the hoses in their "natural" rubber so that it would be easier to asses their condition in the future...

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
FWIW, photos of new vehicles as delivered to the military indicate that the hoses (and belts) were black. Those that are overall OD or green are the result of rebuild - and at least one of the rebuild manual says that the hoses were to be masked with bandages to keep them from being painted - although it sure seems this wasn't done in most cases.

Regards,
David

jasonjc

Now David we all know the military whould never do anything that was not in the manual.Nor whould any of the high price contartors.:)haha

jwaller

Re: RE: Dont let this happen to you.(hoses)

DDoyle said:
FWIW, photos of new vehicles as delivered to the military indicate that the hoses (and belts) were black. Those that are overall OD or green are the result of rebuild - and at least one of the rebuild manual says that the hoses were to be masked with bandages to keep them from being painted - although it sure seems this wasn't done in most cases.

Regards,
David
good info. that answers my question of how old were these things. I didnt think they were original 1970. more like 1991