• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Door Hinge Pin Removal

Barrman

I am not sure which is worse. Trying with hammer, pliers, bigger hammer, saw, grinder and any other tools I can think of that will help pull the 4 hinge pins after they have been sitting in the hinges for 40+ years. Or using a screw driver, impact driver, grinder, drill, welder to remove the broken bolt and such on the 16 screws that hold the hinges to the cab.

I used the pin removal process on my stock cab and figured there had to be a better way. So, when it came time to pull the doors of my replacement cab, I pulled the screws out. Well, at least 3 of the 16 screws actually came out the first time I tried. The rest had to be persuaded in some manner or other.

Now, I need to pull the replacement hinges apart for painting, ODIron pin conversions and ease of putting the doors back on the truck without scratching stuff.

Does anybody have a method besides hammer and punch that gets the door pins out? Thanks.

Cdub

As long as the hinges are removed from the doors and cab........I soked mine with some WD-40 and mounted them in a good heavy vise and used the old stand by hammer and punch.......I then used a wire pipe cleaner, cut off the end and chucked it in my drill and cleaned out all the rust from the hinge.

I then painted and mounted one side of the hinge on the cab and the other on the door. Me and a helper set the door on the cab and set the hinge pins in place with some never seize on the bolt.

Worked out just fine........

C'dub

Attachments

sermis

Heat wrench.............Punch out pin................BURN HAND.................. when you catch pin before it hits the ground.

Barrman

Steve, I don't think I will follow your steps exactly, but thanks for the tip.

The doors still have the hinges on them. I went through 4 phillips bits in the impact driver getting the hinges off the cab. I was thining about leaving the hinges on the doors and just popping the pins out. If I could do it without twisting the doors up with the hammer.

sermis

If you have not painted the doors use the torch to heat the hing part where the pin is stuck and then punch the pin out.
I did that on all og mine to get the pins out.

Cdub

Re: RE: Door Hinge Pin Removal

Barrman said:
The doors still have the hinges on them. I went through 4 phillips bits in the impact driver getting the hinges off the cab. I was thining about leaving the hinges on the doors and just popping the pins out. If I could do it without twisting the doors up with the hammer.
Be careful when pounding on the hinges while they're still bolted to the doors. Even though the pillar where the hinges mount to the door is re-enforced doesn't mean it won't twist out of shape with out you even knowing it until you go to hang the door on the cab.

I still strongly advise removing the hinges from the doors and working them on the vise to remove the hinge bolt and clean out the rust before installing the new hinge bolt.

Cheers,

C’dub

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks