• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

door/window weatherstripping

ken mcculloch

OK, I need some advice please. With all the things I have had to fix, correct, fabricate or figure out how to do, I am at a loss regarding the weather stripping for the door windows. I ordered NOS WS sets & I have had nothing but problems trying to install it so the windows seal AND function properly.

I have not gone back to the vendor yet because I want to make sure I am not missing something stupid. SO, here is my dilemma…

The set is made up of 3 pieces… 2 vertical strips & the top horizontal strip. There is no drivers side/passenger side set, they both use the same set. In the 2 sets I received, both of the vertical pieces have a different profile shape. One is pretty much an “L” profile while the other is almost a “U” profile. Normally this would not be an issue as it would appear that the piece for the windshield pillar would be the “U” profile so the window would “roll” into the seal as the door is closed and the “L” profile would be for the rear pillar.

Because the sets are identical (no right or left set) the problem begins with the fact that the ends of the seals have been cut at 45 deg angles so they fit together in the corners. Nice touch, saves me the trouble… except that each door ends up having a different vertical piece on the front & rear pillars. Because of this, the seals are popping out of the channel when I close the door. If I leave the window down & then close the door, the windows are next to impossible to roll up. I even have the channels adjusted to the limits of the slotted holes. Did I not get the correct set of WS? Am I being that dense that I cannot figure out how to install a few pieces of rubber? Anybody else have this same issue? How did you resolve it?

SECONDLY, when I got my M from the PO, there was only one piece of front fender welting installed on one side and it is NOT the correct welting. I actually took this piece out & played a bit with it for the door glass seals & it fit PERFECTLY, the door closes completely, it seals, and the window rolls up easily. Problem is the PO does not remember where this piece of rubber came from.

Pictured below is the piece I am referring to. I have spent the last 3 days searching the web for the same profile in the same “extruded rubber” and I have found nothing to match.

Anybody know what this may be from? Ever seen anything like it before anywhere?

ANY help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ken
window seal2.jpg

GUNNY 155

Wish I could help you. I will be doing mine in the next couple of weeks. Still working on getting the new out of the box doors lined up. Funny, I though brand new doors, should be able to just hang them and some minor adjustments and done. Wrong on that one.

Northwoodsguy

Ken,
Did you ever get the issue resolved? I had a similar problem and figured out a way to get my seals in. Problem was, the channel that held them was too wide in spots and would let the seal just fall out. I put up with it but am thinking about just crimping the channel to make it tighter. Let me know how that worked out for you.
Jim
63 USMC M37B1

foxtrk2

as a point on the window seals I go tnew ones from vintage and in the package ti stated that the channels would have to be crimped tighter to hold the new rubber after many attempts to do so I found some nos rubbers on ebay and they fit in with out the crimping ive had to use a little weather strip glue to make them permanent but after three years none have loosened or fallen out as for the fender seals I go tmine from vintage and had no issues with installing or performance after they were put in hope it helps a little

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks