• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dragon Wagon in Apollo space program

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

rlwm211

From what I can see, I believe the Dragon Wagon is holding the booster bottom as the crane eases it into the vertical position. The DW may have towed the section into the building before this shot. I cannot think of any other reason for the truck to be where it is otherwise.

RL

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NASA used lots of military vehicles over the years. Here at Johnson Space Center in Houston, they had 3 ea WWII C-2 wrecking lowboy trailers, one of which ended up with me. They also have a small fleet of tactical LOX tube semitrailers from the Air Force missile days. Kennedy had several M113 APCs used for firefighting.

Jeff Lakaszcyck

This is a great photo, it actually appeared in the Hemmings blog about 4 months ago. I don't go back to the Apollo days but I have worked at KSC for several years. I'm certain that the M26A1 and the blue dolly are not connected to the Saturn V 1st stage in any way at the moment this picture was taken. What is happening during this lifting operation is very similar to how the Space Shuttle is moved from it's horizontal position to vertical. The top of the Saturn V section is being supported by the 250 ton bridge crane which is 400 feet above the floor and cannot be seen in this photo (only the hook is visible). The 175 ton crane seen at the top of the image is attached to the bottom of the Saturn V segment, but due to the angle of the photo none of this rigging can be seen. NASA used the M26A1 Dragon Wagons as prime movers for the Saturn V 1st stages. It appears that they had more than one M26. These trucks are long gone from the area, and I don't know what became of them. I do know of at least 6 M26A1's that ended up within about 25 miles of the Kennedy Space Center, but most are also long gone now. I don't know if any of these were former NASA trucks. Attached is a pic of an M26A1 prime mover towing a Saturn V 1st stage.

Attachments

Alredneck

Banned
That has to be some torque and great gearing to move a load that size!

I wonder if the Dastly Dodge was still alive if it could handle that rocket!:roll: