• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drain Plug ?

tklm539

Should there be a plug in the drain hole at the bottom of the clutch housing? Mine does not have a plug and I am thinking it should be there.

I have been going through the TM's and have yet to find it.

Thanks

Tom

JDToumanian

Earlier trucks were to have the drain plug stored in the map compartment for installation before fording. At some point in production, the bell housing casting was changed to include a boss next to the drain hole where the plug could be screwed on for storage, leaving the drain open... My deuce has the boss, my V-18A/MTQ does not.

Regards,
Jon

tklm539

Guess I was thinking wrong!!

No boss that I can find. Thanks for the info. I removed the plug that I had put in and a small quantity (back of plug) motor oil came out. Is this a bad thing? I figured it needed a plug there because I saw the oil drip out.

I am new to this but I am pretty sure that I am looking at the clutch. Large round disc shaped housing just behind motor?

Thanks
Tom

JDToumanian

Yup... the clutch is in there, and that's why the drain needs to be open. If the bell housing were plugged and the rear seal leaked, it would fill the housing with oil and ruin the clutch. Most deuces seem to leak a bit from the rear seal, I wouldn't worry unless it was real bad.

Jon

FSBruva

My favorite quote from Recovry4x4 was regarding the dripping oil from the bellhousing:

R4x4: "Is it a stream?"
Me: "No - it drips"
R4x4: "They're called road oilers for a reason!"

FSBruva

When it stops leaking... you know your crankcase is empty!!!!!

And, in a related note -

When I was trouble shooting my slobbering deuce (burning oil that seeps past the turbo seals), I found a pretty interesting troubleshooting procedure:
1. Fill the truck's oil up to full.
2. Drive truck on highway, fully loaded
3. Stop periodically and note how long it takes for the dipstick to record 1 quart low.

If the mileage from step 3 is greater than 60 miles, then that is "acceptable oil consumption."

Matt

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So 60 miles to the quart is OK! Thats good news. If I were driving to Aberdeen that would give me a 20 quart ride each way.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
FSBruva said:
My favorite quote from Recovry4x4 was regarding the dripping oil from the bellhousing:

R4x4: "Is it a stream?"
Me: "No - it drips"
R4x4: "They're called road oilers for a reason!"
That's great. Everything I own drips something :lol:

drthunder33

Thank you search engine!

I know this is kinda old but I was under my new deuce and noticed the same thing and got a little worried. Sounds like I'm good to go by the explanations here.

Just thought I'd bump this topic in case any other newbs out there had the same questions.

Thanks guys, this site is AMAZING!

rizzo

drthunder33 said:
Thank you search engine!

I know this is kinda old but I was under my new deuce and noticed the same thing and got a little worried. Sounds like I'm good to go by the explanations here.

Just thought I'd bump this topic in case any other newbs out there had the same questions.

Thanks guys, this site is AMAZING!

good work with the search engine

FreightTrain

Banned
I will say this,the boss idea was not real bright!Mine has the boss but I broke a breaker bar trying to get the plug out for the heck of it once.That sucker is rusted shut....Making it worthless in a real Military situtation.....I could heat it up with a torch and or take an impact but in the field you wouldn't have access to those tools.....I will just use a boat plug if I ever do something stupid again....like floor deep mud.....

saddamsnightmare

January 29th, 2008.

I guess my deuce just likes to slobber out the slobber pipe when Idleing for more then 5 minutes- being as she's normally aspirated, she also does it a little after being run hard without idleing her down, I'll have to check her for the drain plug boss. I know her last owner went fording in 2' of water- I just hope he knew about the drain plug, being a serving Armor crewman in Iraq with III 3/3Cav. So far she's shown no ill effects in the gearboxes and axles, and the knuckle boots are solid.
She does, however, smoke like an EMD GP-9 or Alco RS-3 ( with injectors off set) when coming of a long idle or when accellerating at certain RPM's, and she will bark very loudly at the stack now and then on accellerating (Freight Train will explain the RS-3 to you all), so like the one gentlemen says "We won't be able to sneak up on them, they'll hear our Detroits (but at least I can bring my own smoke screen and obfuscate the matter).
And the Unimog likes to backfire on sharp decellerations- so I can't sneak up there either( I guess that's why the Swiss never attacked anyone with Unimogs)!

Thanks again, Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1963 Mercedes Benz Unimog S404.114 (Swiss)
1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Vietnam and Desert Storm Veteran Deuce (AKA cold Start Lizard or "Old Slobberface" rofl )

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't like to "slow idle" an engine. A diesel engine will tend to run cold anyway, and the Deuce has excessive cooling capacity anyway, as does most MV's. When they run slow, they load up, there is incomplete combustion, etc, that leads to oil dilution. The longest I idle any of my engines is at a Stop Light (I have to go 100 miles to the 1st one here). Otherwise, when stopped, pull that throttle out to 11 or 12 hundred RPM, and be happy about it. Watch the complaints listed above, be none existent! They should be running at 190 to 200 f. They will run cleaner there!

Lee in Alaska

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks